Drop Everything And Read discussion

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
This topic is about Children of Blood and Bone
Read > Children of Blood and Bone

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hallie (inkyhallie) | 5470 comments Mod
Thoughts?

message 2: by Jessica (last edited May 10, 2018 09:53AM) (new) - added it

Jessica (ireadcauseican) How are you guys pronouncing the names and places in your head when you're reading them?

•Zelie- Zel- ee

•Amari- Uh- mar- ee

•Tzain- Zay-n

•Orishan- Or-eesh-on

•Chandomble- Shan-dom-b-lee

I have no idea if that's right...but it's how I keep hearing them in my mind when I read them. :o)

message 3: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I just started it, and this is how I'm mentally pronouncing the names:

• Zelie - Zay - lee
• Amari - Same as Jessica - Uh - mar - ee
• Tzain - Zayn like Zayn Malik
• Orishan - Ori - shan (although I think Jessica's seems way more correct)

message 4: by Urmi (new) - added it

Urmi Chakraborty (bookishpixie) | 6 comments I've ordered this book just this morning and you know what, I'm freaking excited for it!!!

message 5: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

I finished this yesterday, and it just wasn't my cup of tea. It started off pretty good, but then I just found it too..... I don't know, it just wasn't the book for me.

message 6: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (ireadcauseican) I'm 70% through.... at this point- it's very good. Some of the parts are a little predictable but I'm ok with that because of what a fantastic job the author did setting the scenes.

Inan is my favorite character. Without giving anything away, he's complex, conflicted and developing.

As an aside: I hope they make a movie at some point. It would be a creative feast for producers and set designers. I'm imagining how Chandomble would look. (If you saw The Life of Pi- I'm imagining something similar and as aesthetically stunning)

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather what type of book is this? fantasy? I just finished the Harry Potter series and now I'm working my way through the works of Sharon Creech....but im missing the magic of Hogwarts haha

message 8: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yes, it is fantasy. Not the same kind of magic and all, but you might enjoy it :)

message 9: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (ireadcauseican) 75% in... and I'm struggling to make myself want to keep going....

I was really enjoying the magic, the scenery and the character development... now I feel like the love story has taken over and I'm reading a romance novel with magic in it...instead of the other way around.

I'm kinda bummed! It's still a good book- but I didn't set out expecting it to become so...mushy. LoL! :o)

What are you guys thinking?

Vavita I just began over the weekend (on chapter 3 now).
It seems ok. I am not so into magic but I said the same with Harry Potter...

message 11: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (ireadcauseican) Awww, I love Harry Potter. It was a once in a lifetime series for me. :)

Vavita I am on chapter 62. I find it ok. Interesting but I am not getting that WoW-effect many people were talking about.

I find it lacks world building. I was expecting more about the culture.

The love story is just ok too.

Vavita Done!
This book was quite enjoyable. It had its interesting moments. From chapter 72 (it has 85 chapters), it got really exciting and I couldn't put it down. But, that is all; to be honest, I don't understand all the hype.

As in many other YA fantasy, we find the rebel princess, the female lead who doesn't think she is good enough, the boy she falls in love with (and for whom she makes bad decisions).
Supposedly, this book was special because of the setting and culture. I think the author could have done more with that. unfortunately, she followed the norm of most YA fantasy authors.

I have seen a lot of people complaining about the love story. I was actually happy to see the love story because what I was getting with the fantasy itself, the world-building, the character development was just not enough.

Heather | 9 comments I listened to this book and the author's note afterward. I didn't realize this was about racism when I was listening to it but I can see that. The nobles calling them maggots and what not. I liked the book but the female lead who doesn't think she's good enough was a little over done. By the end I was kinda like ok we get it you think you're not worthy... Suck it up and move on. That being said I would read the second book when it comes out.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) This book was rather different than my usual selections, and it was really refreshing!