UK Book Club discussion

31 views
Around the World in 80 Books > Natalie's Around The World In 80 Books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) | 785 comments Natalie
Welcome You will read lots of new stuff be frustrated and most of all curse Ian at some point when he brings up a point of order! He is very strict


message 2: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Hope you enjoy the challenge, your book sounds traumatic!


message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 32 comments Robert wrote: "Natalie
Welcome You will read lots of new stuff be frustrated and most of all curse Ian at some point when he brings up a point of order! He is very strict"

strict is good, I love a challenge!


Em wrote: "Hope you enjoy the challenge, your book sounds traumatic!"
It was a bit!


message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 32 comments The Third Man by Graham Greene
The Third Man by Graham Greene.

I recently got 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, flipped it open last night & landed on this book. Read some of Greene's work before and really enjoyed it. Set in post-war Vienna I thought this may be cheating a little as it's a novella. I don't usually like crime but this shows why I need to be more adventurous with my choices.


message 5: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments It's not cheating! I think a novella is fine, actually more than fine I think it's a great idea (especially as my reading rate has dropped off a bit this year) shame I've already read a book for Austria otherwise, I would have copied your idea!


message 6: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Natalie wrote: "The Third Man by Graham Greene
The Third Man by Graham Greene.

I recently got 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, flipped it open last night & landed on this book. Read some o..."


I think he originally wrote 'The Third Man' as a screenplay. Have you seen the film? It's a film-noir classic: very atmospheric (beautiful lighting & camera work) and a memorable score. Well worth digging out.


message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments In the early 80's i annoyed my friends whilst doing an interrail by insisting we went on the Ferris wheel featured in the film , it was brilliant but very long, so i may be tempted to look at that for Austria as well!


message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 32 comments Liz wrote: "I think he originally wrote 'The Third Man' as a screenplay. Have you seen the film? It's a film-noir classic: very atmospheric (beautiful lighting & camera work) and a memorable score. Well worth digging out."

Yes he did, haven't seen the film but going to try & find it.

Andrew wrote: "In the early 80's i annoyed my friends whilst doing an interrail by insisting we went on the Ferris wheel featured in the film , it was brilliant but very long, so i may be tempted to look at tha..."

I did the same when I went Interrailing in Vienna!


message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 32 comments The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Read this as part of a genre challenge, I was quite gripped by it at first but thought it lost steam towards the end. Don't think I'll read the next two though.


message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Oh Natalie - don't you want to know what happened?


message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 32 comments Sue one of my biggest literary peeves is when details are deliberately withheld to make you keep reading the next book. But I do have a 12 hour flight next week so might download it for then :)


message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments But it's called The Millenium ..... trilogy!! You need to read all 3!


message 13: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
I wasn't a fan of the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' books. They were fine, but they just didn't wow me. The first is the best, I don't think you'll be missing anything by not completing the series. (I know many people would dissagree......)


back to top