Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Big Little Lies-3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanaya (new)

Tanaya (tanayar) Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty is stand alone novel that is a mix of genres of family drama and psychological fiction. The story revolves around three women of different ages and families residing in Australia. The only common factors binding them are their children, who happen to attend the same preschool and dysfunctional twisted families.
The novel touches upon extremely delicate nonetheless valuable topics like domestic abuse, sexual abuse and its psychological problems and much more. The story sets into motion when Jane, the protagonist and one of the mothers’, moves to Pirriwee with her son(Ziggy) and ends up in a brawl with the wrong people.
The story takes an interesting back-and-forth approach with the narration. Throughout, there are dark ‘little’ secrets always being revealed which tempt the reader to turn to the next page. Overall, the pace of the book is slow and the issues are heavy, but the climax is worth the wait.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9371 comments Nice job! A favorite of mine too.

message 3: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 439 comments I tried to watch the series, but found it too slow. Although the review of the book also indicates it is slow, this book is, and will remain, on my TBR list.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9371 comments Hatoolah, we all have that one book that haunts us. Nicole’s Americanah, now Radium Girls. I wonder what mine is. Clearly, I think it’s bear town.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9371 comments I meant haunts us from the to be read list, in terms of its ever waiting presence. To others include once we were brothers, and by the same author Carolina twins. Or maybe we were the lucky ones on the same theme.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments Hahtoolah wrote: "I tried to watch the series, but found it too slow. Although the review of the book also indicates it is slow, this book is, and will remain, on my TBR list."

I did not find it slow at all. But I listened to the audio....

message 7: by Tanaya (new)

Tanaya (tanayar) Certainly I have quite a few books that keep haunting me! Has anyone read catcher in the rye? I started it last year but it’s a little slow and I always put it down to read another mystery novel.

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Bookish (jennabookish) Ditto to what Book Concierge said. I didn't find it too slow-paced. Then again, I felt very emotionally invested in the characters, and that always helps.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I could not put this book down which was a pleasant surprise as I didn’t enjoy the other title of hers that I read.

message 10: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments This one moved super quickly for me as well. I loved the police reports in the middle to break things up, it literally got me to page-turn more in reading sittings.

Truly Madly Guilty moved much slower for me.

message 11: by evsbooks (new)

evsbooks | 17 comments I read this book in just 2 days. I loved it.

message 12: by Brindha (new)

Brindha Sundar | 2 comments Wonderful narration. Page-turner!