Play Book Tag discussion

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
May 2018: Family Drama > The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton 4/5

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited May 05, 2018 09:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I don't remember how this hit my radar, but I got an ARC of it and I was pretty excited to read it. It's not my kind of book at all, but I enjoyed it.

It's kind of got the core of an Agatha Christie novel. A large group of wacky characters with dark secrets are all gathered together at the crumbling estate of the Hardcastle family. It's the 19-year anniversary of the murder of a Hardcastle child, and also an opportunity solve the mystery of the upcoming murder(s) of Evelyn Hardcastle.

From there it departs Christie and goes takes on a dark fantasy type story? Maybe magical realism? Not quite sure what to call it.

It's an ambitious story and for the most part well-done. It's a debut novel, and impressive on that score. There were times I felt it dragged a bit, however.

For the most part, I was entertained. I most certainly didn't guess the mystery and enjoyed the myriad characters. I thought the author did a good job of reminding us of all the little details and bringing them all together because there was A LOT going on. Blackmail, family intrigue, infidelity, drug dealing, mysterious interlopers and murders galore.

Ambitious, mostly successful, and entertaining.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I really didn’t enjoy the audio so I did away with it and I’m going to read it instead. I’m glad to see your positive review.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Hmmm...this one has been on the periphery of my radar, but I am not encouraged by the lukewarm audio review. Still on the fence...

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I don't think it's well-suited to audio. Too complex and confusing.

message 5: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments And he did some funky voices that were really off- putting.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments OH GOD! I hate funky voices!