#AYEARATHON discussion

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
August - Middlegrade Month > SPOILERS: Chapter I-X /Pg.1-128 - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ke-sha (new) - added it

ke-sha (angel707) | 2016 comments Mod
So, Pages 1-128 or Chapters I-X are to be discussed Here and Will Contain SPOILERS!!!
Of Course you can go right one to Part 2 of The SPOILER Discussion if You wish but PLEASE do not talk beyond PAGE 128 in this Thread!!!

message 2: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 123 comments I don't think i'll be able to contain myself to only one post in the spoiler section. It may become, that I have to comment once per chapter. This is by far the most whimsical of books I have read of late. If I were to write a fairytale this is something how I would have written it to be. Growing up I would write about singing trees and laughing rivers. The first chapter in itself is ridiculous in nature and I love it so far.

Kristina Marie I don't think this book is my cup of tea. It feels like it is trying so very hard to be overly whimsical. The only children I can think who would enjoy this would maybe be ones who read The Series of Unfortunate Events and The Wing and the Wall.

message 4: by ke-sha (new) - added it

...Im only on page 6...All I can say is... Im having slight "Alice in Wonderland" flashbacks...and somebody was smoking something...both times...when they wrote these books...Just saying. Im off to read more.

message 5: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 123 comments ke-sha wrote: "...Im only on page 6...All I can say is... Im having slight "Alice in Wonderland" flashbacks...and somebody was smoking something...both times...when they wrote these books...Just saying. Im off to..."

I concur. I have only gotten to page 23 so far and had to put it down for an hour. The descriptive writing and whimsical feel is lovely but it hurts my head trying to picture the world in color. This seems like it was intended to be made as an animation.

message 6: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 123 comments Page 36... the book isn't slow I promise it must be me. I can read a lot faster than this. And though I am enjoying the playful atmosphere and writing style I find myself putting the book down for candy crush and youtube videos. Sigh!

Also, is the narrator bothering anyone? I have already said that this would be a very cute animation and here is just another example of why. There are a lot of movies (for example, The Cat in the Hat-the movie, where the narrator talks about the town and then of course we then watch the characters do what they do.)

So to put it more plainly, there is a mix of 2nd and 3rd person points of view with no break to allow the reader to adjust.

If you have read The Night Circus, the narrator speaks to the audience in 2nd person point of view and allows you, the reader to walk through the gates of the circus and have a look around, but this period of time is it's own "chapter".

Rant over....and continue.

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Lenarczyk (kristinalovee) | 373 comments Mod
I had to give this book up aha! Sorry, but I had gotten 60 pages in and I couldn't find one aspect to enjoy. Hope everyone else has better luck with it!

message 8: by ke-sha (new) - added it

Melissa wrote: "Page 36... the book isn't slow I promise it must be me. I can read a lot faster than this. And though I am enjoying the playful atmosphere and writing style I find myself putting the book down for ..."

Im only on page 9 but I shall persevere. Im going to try and get to page 128 tonight and then finish it tomorrow.

This would make an Amazing movie if done right.

She isnt bothering me yet.

I was thinking about Reading The Night Circus this month if I get time.

First things first. Gotta finish this book Lol

message 9: by ke-sha (new) - added it

Kristina wrote: "I had to give this book up aha! Sorry, but I had gotten 60 pages in and I couldn't find one aspect to enjoy. Hope everyone else has better luck with it!"

Well that sucks, I hope you didnt have the sequels then.
Im off to read past Page 9.

Maija (maijavi) | 180 comments I'm 38% through and I like it so far! I have tried to read this once before, but couldn't get into it - this time I had no trouble, though, so it must have been a mood thing. I'm enjoying the whimsical tone now.

As to the narrator, I find it fits the fairy tale thing. I find the story to be told in the same way that some older fairy tales are. The narrator is always there, telling the story, even though not always engaging the reader straight on.

message 11: by ke-sha (new) - added it

Maija wrote: "I'm 38% through and I like it so far! I have tried to read this once before, but couldn't get into it - this time I had no trouble, though, so it must have been a mood thing. I'm enjoying the whims..."

Im going to try and finish it this month but if not this month the next month for sure. That has to do with how Insane my TBR is and while I likeing the book and have gotten used to the whimsy its still slow to read for me.

Did you get past 38% yet? Im only on Page 20, About to start Chapter 3.

I look forward to seeing what the Author comes up next. I espcailly can't wait to see what goes on in Fairyland :D

message 12: by Melissa (last edited Aug 12, 2014 12:48AM) (new) - added it

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 123 comments I've gotten to page 53 and after reading 4 books in the 'Series of Unfortunate Events' the story seems so much easier to read. I don't know if that makes sense or not. At first I couldn't get used to the style of writing but now it seems like I have decoded it or just seeing it in a new light. It's hard sometimes, going from a straight forward thriller novel or any other YA/adult novel and then jumping into something so whimsical. I will definitely be continuing this book this month and hopefully get to the second and third before the year is over :D

Maija (maijavi) | 180 comments I just finished Chapter X, so I'm 54% through! I have twenty hours left on the eBook loan, oops! I still like the book, so I hope I have the time to finish it tomorrow.

message 14: by ke-sha (new) - added it

Maija wrote: "I just finished Chapter X, so I'm 54% through! I have twenty hours left on the eBook loan, oops! I still like the book, so I hope I have the time to finish it tomorrow."

I hope your able to finish it in time, or can check it out again right away.

Im just reached Page 38/Finished Chapter 3.
The Witches were interesting.

message 15: by ke-sha (new) - added it

Melissa wrote: "I've gotten to page 53 and after reading 4 books in the 'Series of Unfortunate Events' the story seems so much easier to read. I don't know if that makes sense or not. At first I couldn't get used ..."

I just reached Page 38 and I know what you mean. After the first chapter or so its like my mind suddenly gets everything and its not as whismical as before.

Maija (maijavi) | 180 comments I managed to finish it with one hour to spare, thankfully! Someone had placed a hold on it so I couldn't have renewed it.

(BTW, 4 out of 5 stars. Gonna hop on over to the other thread now!)

message 17: by ke-sha (new) - added it

Maija wrote: "I managed to finish it with one hour to spare, thankfully! Someone had placed a hold on it so I couldn't have renewed it.

(BTW, 4 out of 5 stars. Gonna hop on over to the other thread now!)"

Yay, For Finishing it. I just got to Page 50.
Ill hopefully finish it in a few day and Join you over at the Other Thread :D