Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's April Reads 3/3

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1396 comments 7)The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor (science fiction novella) 206 pages. Source: Library Started: 4/17 Finished: 4/19

Why Read: This is the third novella in the Binti trilogy. I thought the second one Home was even better than the first.

Comments: This is really excellent. It focuses on the importance and limitations of diplomacy. Binti tries to negotiate a peace agreement between two alien species who have been intractable enemies. I gave it an A. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

8)Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine (alternate history fantasy) Source: Net Galley Started: 4/19 Finished: 4/23

Why Read: This is the third in a dystopia series that takes place in an alternate continuity in which the Library of Alexandria becomes a worldwide dictatorship. I don't like dystopias, but this is a series in which books and reading are central. So it draws me. This particular book starts in alternate America.

Comments: You really don't want to be in this version of Philadelphia, but I think this novel represents a turning point. Things still look pretty grim, but I'm hopeful that the Great Library's stranglehold on books can be broken. I gave this book a B+. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

9)The Little Book of Feminist Saints by Julia Pierpont (collective biography/saints calendar) 187 pages Source: Library Started: 4/27
Finished: 4/28

Why Read: Feminist saints sounds right up my alley and I like the illustrations. It's also short enough for me to finish by the end of April.

Comments: The book is based on Catholic saints calendar. Each feminist saint has her own feast day, a picture of her and an inspiring story or two drawn from her life. I learned things about some of these women that I didn't know. Did you know that Michelle Obama was Barack Obama's mentor when he was first starting his legal career? I certainly didn't. This gets an A.

This is the lowest number of reads I've had this year. I would have had at least ten if I didn't abandon a book about two thirds of the way through because my disbelief suspenders broke. The author owes me a new pair of disbelief suspenders. The book became so unbelievable that I just couldn't finish it and removed it from my books on Goodreads.

This month I'll have two Paul Levine mysteries among my reads, and I'm planning to read more books by him.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Shomeret: I've meant to thank you for mentioning this book - I enjoyed meeting some new, and learning a bit more about other feminists.
Shomeret wrote: "The Little Book of Feminist Saints."

message 3: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Shomeret wrote: ". . .abandon a book about two thirds of the way through because my disbelief suspenders broke. The author owes me a new pair of disbelief suspenders""

Shomeret, you posted this before I made my return to the M/T and I'm so happy Ann dug it up so I could enjoy the idea of disbelief suspenders! Be warned that I may appropriate it without paying you any royalties.

P.S. The Little Book of Feminist Saints looks good!