Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Books that you remember the first line

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Robert Collins (stephenrobertcollins) | 99 comments Moby Dick

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments The Hunger Games (I know the entire first page)
Catching Fire
Mockingjay
Legend

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by Ernesto (new)

Ernesto Alvarado (ernestoalvarado) | 23 comments Don Quixote
Moby Dick
Lolita
Watchmen
Las batallas en el desierto (Battles in the desert)

message 5: by Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (last edited May 06, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Legend, and Warcross

message 6: by Rima (new)

Rima Ben Hammadi | 159 comments there are no 100 per cent heros

message 7: by kenzie (new)

kenzie (kenziemaybenot) | 0 comments The Selection by Kiera Cass

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments oh yes Divergent as well 😅

message 9: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Fields (amelia_anne_fields) | 30 comments Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

message 11: by Nyla (new)

Nyla Panzilius (nylap) | 71 comments The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
In my younger and more vulnerable years, my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.

message 12: by curlygirlreads (new)

curlygirlreads | 6 comments The 5th wave - Aliens are stupid.

message 13: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments "Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderley again."
Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited May 07, 2018 02:05PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments Oh wow Linda and Melliott--that's really great. I think most of us remember the first lines of those 2, even if we've never read any more of them than that. Ok, I admit, I've read them, but I am also sure there are those out there who haven't, but who have seen the various movies and TV shows based on them. It's kind of like Romeo and Juliet. Everyone remembers the opening of that. And, everyone remembers the balcony scene. There are just some books that even people who haven't read them know and recognize the opening lines of. (A Christmas Carol anyone? That's one that even people who haven't read can quote entire huge segments of.)

Oh, yeah, and the biggest one that everyone knows the beginning of: In the Beginning . . . .

message 15: by Lora (on hiatus) (new)

Lora (on hiatus) | 227 comments "When I wake up, the other side of the bed was cold."
The Hunger Games

"When we first got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic."
The Selection

"There is one mirror in my house."
Divergent

message 16: by Bayli (new)

Bayli Park (notyourtypicallibraryitern) | 19 comments six of crows "Joost had two problems the moon and his mustache"

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments The Outsiders by S.E Hinton.

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house I had two things on my mind-Paul Newman and a ride home. I kinda wish I looked like Paul Newman. He looks tough and I don't, but I guess my own looks aren't so bad. I have reddish brown hair and gray-green eyes. I wish they were more gray because I hate most guys who have green eyes."

Almost the full first page xD

message 18: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (artemisstarlite) | 20 comments “Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.” —> Lightning Thief
Favorite series ever, constantly rereading it 💙

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Munazzah (Mu-nuz-zah) Sheikh (shay-kh) | 4 comments Vampire Academy’s first sentence.

message 21: by natalia (new)

natalia | 88 comments A Darker Shade of Magic

message 22: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (nifflerlover) | 577 comments Cinder
Divergent
The Fault in Our Stars

message 23: by Janvi (new)

message 24: by Parvati Patil (new)

Parvati Patil  | 27 comments Divergent.

message 25: by Pottermnm (new)

Pottermnm Montse | 45 comments Harry Potter

message 26: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 14 comments Harry Potter
The Night Circus

message 27: by Imaane (new)

Imaane | 3 comments Divergent.
“There is one mirror in my house.”

message 28: by natalia (new)

natalia | 88 comments Shades of Magic
“Kell wore a very peculiar coat”

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments "My mother thinks I'm dead." - Legend

message 30: by Bethany ♡ (new)

Bethany ♡ (bfmmcdermott) | 14 comments Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, The Hobbit, Jane Eyre

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Definitely Pride and Prejudice. Both because it's my fave book ever and the fact that it's such a famous line.

message 32: by Muskaan (new)

Muskaan Gambhir | 15 comments "It was a pleasure to burn." Fahrenheit 451
I never finished this book but I like how it started.

and "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, private drive were proud to say they were perfectly normal, Thank you very much." Harry Potter and The Philosopher's stone, which I love.

message 33: by Abi (new)

Abi | Scribbles and Stories (scribblesandstories) | 16 comments “The day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.” Glass Houses

“The terror, which would not end for another 28 years - if it ever did - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.” It

“Sometimes, I worry I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am.” The Final Empire

message 34: by Muskaan (new)

Muskaan Gambhir | 15 comments Abi wrote: "“The day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.” Glass Houses

“The terror, which would not end for another 28 years - if it ever did - began, so far ..."

by the first line itself the story (IT) is coming to back to me and giving me chills.

message 35: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 58 comments Pride and Prejudice and The Outsiders