Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's April Reads 1/3

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments I gave up on finding a single adjective that would fit as a description of all of April's reads. So I'll just get down to business.

1)Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (fantasy) 531 pages. Source: Library Started: 3/30 Finished: 4/1

Why Read: This looked awfully good. It's a fantasy world created by the author that draws on West African culture. It was also a BOM at the Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Club on GR.

Comments: This is impressive as a first novel and very nearly met all my expectations, but not quite. The concept is original and has potential. I gave it an A- If you are interested in my views on African diasporic religion, see my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

2)Old Fashioned with a Twist by Rebecca Marks (mystery) Source: Gifted by Wiley via Amazon Started: 4/1 Finished: 4/3

Why Read: This is a direct sequel to Stone Cold Sober which I read in March. Dana Cohen, the protagonist, is still pregnant, but she's close to being due and is planning her wedding to the father of the baby.

Comments: So Dana is juggling the demands of her ninth month in pregnancy, getting ready for the birth, planning a wedding, and then she also decides to help her ex-husband with finding his own baby who's been kidnapped. My reaction was that Dana thinks she's superwoman, but other readers may not agree. There are some really touching scenes toward the end, but I gave it a C+ See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

3)Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich (dystopian fantasy) 269 pages. Source: Library Started: 4/4 Finished: 4/7

Why Read: I thought that a dystopia written by Native American literary author Louise Erdrich could be very different in its perspective.

Comments: There are some good characters, but it's essentially The Handmaid's Tale with Native Americans. If that sounds good to you, you should read it. I'm not a fan of dystopias and didn't enjoy it. I gave it a D+

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments I've been looking at Children of Blood and Bone.

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments Melodie wrote: "I've been looking at Children of Blood and Bone."

Do you read epic fantasy, Melodie? Another thing I should warn you about is that it ends on a cliffhanger.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Shomeret wrote: "Melodie wrote: "I've been looking at Children of Blood and Bone."

Do you read epic fantasy, Melodie? Another thing I should warn you about is that it ends on a cliffhanger."

Epic fantasy is not one of my favorites, which is what's been keeping me from pulling the trigger on the purchase. I'll leave it in the cart for now, but will probably end up removing it.