Play Book Tag discussion

Lincoln in the Bardo
This topic is about Lincoln in the Bardo
May 2018: Family Drama > Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel N. (last edited May 05, 2018 04:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel N. | 1612 comments The story takes place over one night in February 1862 in the graveyard where Willie Lincoln has just been placed temporarily in a crypt. The graveyard is inhabited by residents of the Bardo, an in between place for spirits. The spirits need to help Willie move on because bad things happen to children if they linger in the Bardo for too long. The book is written in a very unique style. It took me a few chapters to get used to but once I caught one it was an easy read. The book alternates between residents of the Bardo and news accounts about Lincoln, many of which provide conflicting accounts. The book made me very sad, all those stuck people, but it's a worthwhile read.

This book has been tagged family drama. I don't think it's a major theme of the book but some of the stories of the residents of the Bardo definitely involve family drama so I think it fits.

Susie | 4488 comments This is the most unique book I’ve ever read, that’s for sure.

Brian (branderson) What a unique book! I read this a little while back, and also had an audiobook copy of it. The format in and of itself can come off jarring, but agree that once you got used to it the book flows rather well.

message 4: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Zaccaria | 219 comments I've been on the waiting list for this book forever, looking forward to it.