Play Book Tag discussion

Rose Daughter
This topic is about Rose Daughter
May 2018: Family Drama > Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mindy aka serenity (last edited May 05, 2018 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mindy aka serenity | 120 comments Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley
3 stars

I put this on my list many years ago because I loved McKinley's Beauty so much. This book is another retelling of Beauty and the Beast but I didn't like it as much as I liked her first crack at the story. This version focuses a great deal on developing the characters of the three sisters and their family, how they grew as people and as a family after the merchant lost everything and they were forced to move into a small cottage nearish to a small town. All of the sisters are kind and beautiful and are all charming and talented. The beast and castle, however, is almost an after thought compared to the development of characters and unfolding of family drama. There was a long involved origin tale with many sorcerers, a curse or not a curse, and a climax that seemed rushed and confusing. She goes on forever describing he process by which Beauty tries to find the beast at the end that I started to get really frustrated with the author to get on with things already. There are beautiful parts to the book but as a retelling it plays a distant second to Beauty.

message 2: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments This sounds interesting. I might try reading her first one Beauty if you say you liked it better.

message 3: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I tried to read this a couple years ago but never got through. It didn’t seem like anything ever happened.

Amy N. | 256 comments I would re-read this obsessively as a dreamy, out-of-touch-with-reality young adult, and I agree that nothing much happens. But it fails to happen so beautifully that I never noticed until I re-read it again a few years ago. Definitely a book more suited for romantically-minded young girls or lazy rainy days.

message 5: by Hebah (new) - added it

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Amy wrote: "Definitely a book more suited for romantically-minded young girls or lazy rainy days."

Ahh, that sounds like a perfect description for a book. Lazy rainy day reads is such a great rec.