The Reading Challenge Group discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > Mother, May I? (May 2018)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited May 05, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
Mission: Read a book recommended by your mom or that your mother loved.

Alternate Mission: Read a book in which the maternal relationship is a prominent feature.
For example:
The Joy Luck Club
Wives and Daughters
Sons and Lovers

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I got this idea from another thread, asking what books influenced you. My mother loved the movie, Gone With the Wind. We watched it together every time it was on television. I am not sure if she ever read the book. This movie gave me a passion for history, especially the Civil War. My mom passed away in 2016. In memory of her, I am thinking about reading Gone with the Wind. I need some encouragement on this one. The length scares me, 1472 pages in the paperback edition

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 4050 comments Mod
That sounds like a wonderful reason to read the book, Cindy.

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

It’s a fabulous book, Cindy. It’s mostly about the South before, during, and after the Civil War. I learned so much as I was reading it. Plus, those truly iconic characters.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Thanks for the encouragement. You talked me into reading Gone With the Wind. My plan is to read it slowly.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I have just finished Mother by Maxim Gorky, set during the years before the Russian Revolution. It is a pre-cursor to the genre called Social Realism, which focusses on the working class.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I am starting Part 2 of Gone with the Wind. I have read about 200 pages out of 1472. I am liking it so far.

message 8: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Go, Cindy!

message 9: by Cindy (last edited May 27, 2018 04:01PM) (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments Thanks, I might add Mother to my TBR list.

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great going! I thought GWTW got more interesting as the book went on. My mother loved the book, too. It’s the one I read to her when she was in ICU, but only got through about a third “together.” I read the whole thing for myself last year. It’s definitely one I’ll reread in time; there was so much rich detail.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments That is so nice you read Gone With the Wind to your mother. I agree it gets better in detail as I read more pages. I do get annoyed with Scarlett. I have never met a more egotistical and selfish character in a book. I wish I could ask my mother if she ever read the book.

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Yes! Scarlett is a trip. Yet all the men are crazy about her.

One positive thing about her is that she never gives up. She is definitely a survivor!