Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's April 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited May 05, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments 6 this month and all good reads!

I Have Lost My Way by Gayle Forman I Have Lost My Way by Gayle Forman: Other than If I Stay, I have loved all Forman's books. This one was no exception. 3 young people meet due to a fateful accident. Freya has lost her voice while recording her debut album, Harun is preparing to leave his family because he knows he will be rejected if he reveals his true self to them and Nathaniel has come to NY with nothing left to lose. Through this freak accident they may have found a way to rescue each other. Very good and a fast read to boot. Grade: 9

Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10) by Jenn McKinlay Wedding Cake Crumble by Jenn McKinlay: 10th in Cupcake series and another good one. This is a favorite cozy series and it's only really disappointed me once. In this one, the gang is getting ready for Tate & Angie's wedding when wedding suppliers start meeting nasty ends. Is someone out to get Tate & Angie or are they just caught in the crossfire? Grade: 8.5

Queen Anne's Lace (China Bayles #26) by Susan Wittig Albert Queen Anne's Lace by Susan Wittig Albert: 26th in China Bayles series. It's hard to believe how long this series has been around, yet it never gets old to me or dull. China & Ruby clean out an upstairs storage room and come across a box of antique handcrafted lace and some old photographs. Shortly after, strange things start to happen around Thyme & Seasons: a ringing bell, pictures and sprigs of lavender in odd places and messages left on a board. After a customer tells about seeing a woman in old-fashioned clothes picking flowers and lavender and then seemingly disappearing, China must finally admit that Ruby's been right for years, the shops may have a ghost. The sad story of the woman who first lived in Thyme & Seasons when it was first built as a family home comes to light. The story may have fingers that reach into the here & now. Good one! Grade: 9

Caddyshack The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story by Chris Nashawaty Caddyshack: The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story by Chris Nashawaty: I got an ARC of this one in a contest and loved it! This is one of Ed's and my favorite movies. I'm pretty sure Ed could almost recite the whole movie for you and it gets quoted often around here! The entire movie was pretty much ad libbed from start to finish. The rough script went into the trash almost from day one. Strong personalities with their own ideas about their characters, mixed with massive amounts of cocaine created a crazy set...one that drove straight-arrow Ted Knight nuts! If you liked the movie, this is a great read! Grade: 9

The Kennedy Baby The Loss That Transformed JFK by Steven Levingston The Kennedy Baby: The Loss That Transformed JFK by Steve Levingston: first thing I'd read on my Kindle, other than magazines, in a long time. A short read, but an interesting one. The loss of baby Patrick just months before JFK's assassination may have been an event that caused him to reevaluate himself and try to become the man and husband he should have been to his wife. Grade: 8

Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1) by Justina Ireland Dread Nation by Justina Ireland: on the surface, this is a tale about zombies and zombie fighters (the dead arose at Gettysburg and Chancellorsville, totally throwing off the Civil War and changing the country forever), but it's really about much more. At the heart of every page is a tale about oppression. Very good. Grade: 9

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1657 comments I see some good ones Melodie! I also enjoy Kennedy books, and that looks like something I would like.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Wow, nice month Melodie and three or four to add to my own lists. I was thinking about getting back to the China Bayles series and Queen Anne's Lace looks good. Loved the movie Caddyshack too.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments I'm looking forward to the Caddyshack book and I am glad to see that someone who loved the movie thought it was good. The Washington Post got some guy who did not care for the movie to review the book so I was not sure about his opinion.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Sandi: I have seen reviews like that before, why not assign to someone neutral?
Sandi wrote: "The Washington Post got some guy who did not care for the movie to review the book so I was not sure about his opinion. "

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments Interesting books, Mel! I'm glad they were all top rated by you, makes for a good month.

I never gained an appreciation for Caddyshack (don't tell Ed lest he think less of me!), but maybe I need to watch it again. It's always fun to read a well-written book about a movie or TV favorite.