Discovering Russian Literature discussion

The Master and Margarita
This topic is about The Master and Margarita
THE MASTER AND MARGARITA > The Master and Margarita

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amalie (last edited May 05, 2018 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Use this thread to discuss the Book One of The Master and Margarita.

* If you comment on something beyond Book One make sure you give a spoiler warning.

Stephen Howell | 48 comments So. Having read this great book twice and once only late last year, are we to read it again? And which translation? Let’s be up to date about this and not chopping anyone’s head off!! Give me a cigar and a gun and I’m more than happy!

Trinity (snappingturtle) | 17 comments Just last week, I was delighted to find the updated P&V translation in my local bookstore. It includes the previously omitted 60 pages or so, and came out in 2016, after the previous group read. Fortuitous timing, eh?

message 4: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark André I read the O'Connor and Burgin Vintage translation and thought it was fine.

message 5: by Amalie (last edited May 06, 2018 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emlymom wrote: "I'm sorry, is this the book were reading this month? is there a schedule? Thx."

Yes, The Master and Margarita got the highest number of votes.

There is no schedule. I will open a thread for "Book Two" after a week or two. It will give the first-time readers to read at leisure rather than rushing through it.

I read the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. I would highly recommend it.

Anyone who can't find P/V translation who is looking for it, here's a link:
https://www.paskvil.com/file/files-bo...

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 17 comments Y I P P I E !! I'm excited :-D

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 17 comments OMG this is awesome! Thanks so much for this PDF! Illustrations and everything!

message 8: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark André Of all the books I've read in the two years that I've been with goodreads, none is more deserving of a YIPPIE than M&M! - )

message 10: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark André - )

This is a bit of let down... I hope the members who sellected this book are still reading.

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 17 comments Amalie wrote: "This is a bit of let down... I hope the members who sellected this book are still reading."

The first 2 chapters are sort of a "WTH?" But if you can stick with it, it gets better. There's a lot of political stuff going on that I just breezed over because I'm not educated in Russian history or politics. But once the giant talking walking black cat shows up, I am intrigued. I'm just weird that way.

message 13: by Mark (last edited May 14, 2018 09:39AM) (new) - added it

Mark André I agree, the political stuff is complicated. I think the book works fine without knowing the details of the historical background, or the author's own personal vendetta. Intrigued! Yes. Obviously, so was the author: "weird that way." He put a giant, talking, walking black in his book.

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 17 comments Amalie wrote: "This is a bit of let down... I hope the members who sellected this book are still reading."

Where exactly are you in the book right now, Amalie?

Thanks for the support, Mark. :-P

message 15: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark André Your welcome. - )
It's a great book. A bit out of the common groove, but great fun!

Cedricsmom wrote: "Amalie wrote: "This is a bit of let down... I hope the members who sellected this book are still reading."

Where exactly are you in the book right now, Amalie?

I have read this before but I would love to be avaliable for any discussion.

It's always sad when half of the voters disappear once the discussions start. I guess I have to give a serious warning for lurkers not to vote if they are not serious about their choice.

message 17: by Mark (last edited May 14, 2018 05:17PM) (new) - added it

Mark André Dear Amalie - Just from my limited experience on goodreads I think non-participation is the rule rather than the exception. It's not a good thing, it just is. I think, for many, the reading is the most difficult part. - )

Yes, but that's what the discussion threads are for, right? It's unfair for those who actually wanted read M&M.

But I understand what you mean.

message 19: by Mark (last edited May 14, 2018 05:52PM) (new) - added it

Mark André I think anybody that owns a book can read it whenever the spirit moves them. I think the pleasure of discussing what you've read, or as you go along, with your friends is a big step from just reading at home?
I was in a group last year where 70+ people voted to read a particular book. Maybe ten people got involved initially, and by the end hardly anyone was around.

message 20: by Amalie (last edited May 14, 2018 06:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark, I understand what you mean.

The point is, as we are selecting a book for the monthly read, members should vote only after considering whether or not he/she will be able to manage time ( balancing with the life outside GRs) to join the discussions. I speak as the moderator, it's unfair for others, even the members who wanted to read Resurrection. Still, I'm glad there's some kind of conversation going on here.

Perhaps, it's better to go for a Random Pick than the voting method. I guess I have to think about it.

message 21: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark André You must have had some good successes in the past. Personally I don't think the selection method has much to do with participation levels. I sympathize with your concerns. - )

message 22: by Seth (new) - added it

Seth Mattei | 8 comments I read this book a few years ago, and I plan on re-reading it when the opportunity/mood presents itself. I found it to be a challenging, but rewarding book; somewhere between slapstick comedy, magical realism, political thriller, and opera.
I am not as communicative within this group as I’d like to be (I guess I’m a bit of “lurker”), but I’m not always focused on Russian literature. I always do make a point of paying attention to and noting the books discussed in the group. For the record, after a bit of a break, the next Russian books on my list are Notes from a Dead House (Dostoyevsky) and The Gulag Archipelago (Solzhenitsyn).

Tarun | 19 comments Even I read this book a few years back. I had completely forgotten what the book was about until the black cat was mentioned here :)
What a rockstar the cat was in the book!
One of the very few books that are fantastical and I enjoyed reading nevertheless.
But not as much an inflluencer to make me find the book again and dig into. "So many books, so little time" :))

I will be following the conversations here though, to be able to reacall the storyline.

message 24: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark André Seth wrote: "I read this book a few years ago, and I plan on re-reading it when the opportunity/mood presents itself. I found it to be a challenging, but rewarding book; somewhere between slapstick comedy, magi..."
I like your description of the novel as slapstick, magical, political opera! - )

message 25: by dely (new) - rated it 4 stars

dely | 340 comments Amalie wrote: "Mark, I understand what you mean.

The point is, as we are selecting a book for the monthly read, members should vote only after considering whether or not he/she will be able to manage time ( bal..."

Sadly there are people who vote because they love a book and want others to read it, but with no intention to reread it by themselves.
Maybe an idea to avoid that not active members vote, is to don't send a pm to all the members of the group saying there is a poll going on. You can write it, adding a link to the poll, only in the group for those members who are still here. If you then want to involve all the members, than you can send a pm saying which book has been chosen. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I was actually thinking about that.

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 17 comments D'OH! YOU'RE THE MODERATOR! :-D I am such a dork.

Anyway, I'm down for whatever. I have read several of the great Russian novels but I know I would understand more of the novels if I was able to discuss them with other readers. So whatever you decide to do, please let me know.

Cedricsmom (lindaharrison) | 17 comments Did someone say Opera? I was just watching the trailer for the new movie about Freddie Mercury and Queen and they were singing part of Bohemian Rhapsody, most definitely modern opera. Could M&M possibly be as much fun?🤔