Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > What do you drive?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have a little Honda, which I love. The other car is a fifteen year old Explorer, which has been great for dirty dogs, hauling yard debris, getting up the hill to our house in winter, etc. We're considering that it'll be worth far more as a cash-for-clunkers trade in than at any other point down the road, but we've never bought a Brand New Car before. Anybody got something newish that they adore (or hate) and want to tell me about?

message 2: by Lori (last edited Aug 14, 2009 12:29PM) (new)

Lori Hahaha my RAV4 is from 2002 and I still consider it new since it's first brand new car I ever purchased. Oh it doesn't look new, it really is like white trash, between the dog and kid, and OK I admit myself. It's perfect for me, compact but doesn't feel compact, the dog has a nice way-back area, and I can still haul multiple bags of groceries and other items.

I am not that pleased with the mileage which isn't as good as I expected, and the heating/cooling system isn't all the great either.

But I love my car - it gets the job done.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
I drive a Seafoam-colored Prius. It's a 2002, the "first generation" of the car, and the cutest version, of course.

I'm too old to say this, but my dad made me buy it. I had a 4 Runner before this which I absolutely adored, and didn't want to downsize, minimize, or do anything to my carbon footprint.
But now I'm happy to not buy gas very often, and I love how quiet it is.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I have a Scion XB, which I love. It gets great gas mileage, has amazing head and leg room, and is super cute, but they don't make them anymore.

They made it a little lower, and longer, and the gas mileage is lower, too. Now, they look a lot like those Chevy HHRs. Too bad!

The Nissan Cube is similar, if you like the look.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Sally, I was all for buying a Prius, but Richard didn't trust them, thought the first ones would still have bugs. I'm so mad I succumbed! Good for you!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Chris doesn't fit in a Prius. His legs are too long. :(

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Ah, well Richard has that problem too, if he had just tried the Prius then he would have had a good excuse. :)

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Matt is a good foot taller than me and he fits.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It depends on where the height is. If Matt's height is distributed between his legs and his torso, then, yeah, it works.
Chris' height is in his legs. We're about the same height when we sit down. His legs are so long, the seat doesn't go back far enough, and his knees stick up uncomfortably.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Matt? Matt? You mean Sweeter has a name?

:D

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

:D You two were being so precise, I thought it was time I drop the facade.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I would love a Prius, but I don't think we can afford a hybrid. Stupid new-only cash for clunkers rule. Why is it better for the environment that we get something new but less-enviro friendly rather than older but better? (I know: because they're trying to help the manufacturers and dealers too).

Zu is trolling dealerships today for fun. She loves the Nissan Cube, and the Kia Soul is apparently similar as well, and gets free oil changes and car washes for life. I'm just super happy I've talked her down from her beloved SUVs. And they come in manual, so we can still make it up the hill when its icy, hopefully.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is what I drive:

http://www.zcars.com.au/images/2009-s...

I'm waiting for the 230 mpg Volt before I buy a hybrid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08...

Even though the car probably won't get that high of mileage, and some people are already questioning the numbers, if it does half that I'll be happy.:)

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

If I could get anything at all I might look into a Toyota Matrix. I think they're hot.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That Volt is amazing! But $40,000 is a pretty steep pricetag for most people.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

I read about that Volt in today's Denver paper. It looks great, and I'm sure the price will come down sooner rather than later as it did with the Prius.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think the Matrix is adorable, especially in blue. I chose my boring but sturdy Honda in the end because it killed everything else on mpg. It's not a hybrid, but I got 40 mpg highway, 37 city.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You can't argue with mileage like that!

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh yes, Hondas are fantastic.

RA- Richard drives a Forester too, I have to say, that car has given him no trouble at all - and he chose it because it's great for tall people with long legs.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My first car was an '87 Subaru Wagon. I bought it out of a guy's field, and learned to drive stick on my way home. He was a very forgiving little car.

message 21: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments If I ever get a new car again, I want a Ford Focus wagon. I just really like the Focus, and a wagon would give me extra toting room.

Right now I drive an Olds Alero, but I am starting to think it's not worth all the damn hassle here in NYC and may sell it.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments No need for a car in NYC, Mindy...and if you need one, just get a zipcar or a rental. Way cheaper in the long run.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Cities are cool like that. Cars are so suburban.

But Mindy, I agree on the FF - I think it's a hip ride.

message 24: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Sally, you have no face!

:(

Yeah, Sarah, I knew I didn't need a car to get around in the city, but I liked (and still do like) the idea of being able to "escape" if I needed to. But I hadn't counted on it being so damn expensive (even where parking is free here in Queens). What's a zipcar? *off to google*

message 25: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Hey, that actually looks pretty cool. But do they do a credit check? 'Cause mine's pretty crappy. *sigh*

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think they should be ok on most credit. if you've got enough credit to rent a car, you should be able to zip car.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4 truck (sorry sally) when it is raining hard or below 55 degrees otherwise a motorcycle unless i am feeling especially chipper and i take a pogo stick or unicycle to work

message 28: by Randy (new)

Randy Go Sarah Pi,

I drive a 2005 Pontiac Vibe, which is basically the same as the Matrix...still made by Toyota in an American plant...it gets about 27 mpg in the hills and 30 plus on the interstate! You can't go wrong with either one! The Pontiacs will be collectables since Pontiac is slated for the ax after 2010!

Get the standard tranny and front wheel drive, they handle wonderfully!

message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Randy said "tranny".

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments for some strange reason (maybe RA's unheard but known giggle when he typed his comment) i am now singing songs from Rocky Horror

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments "Sweet Transvestite", Kevin?

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments albert pujols :)

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The machine!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I drive a Dodge Stratus---didn't Will Ferrell say that a lot? Anyway, that's what I drive for real.

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

Heh. I chuckled but didn't have the cojones to mock the spanking-new member on his third post.

message 36: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Is it just too naughty to say, "a car?"

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I do not drive. In fact, it would be illegal, but if I had the money and the licence, and the permission of the law, I'd zoom zoom in a nice ol' fashion Lexus LS.

message 38: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Rachel wrote: "I do not drive. In fact, it would be illegal, but if I had the money and the licence, and the permission of the law, I'd zoom zoom in a nice ol' fashion Lexus LS."

Of course you don't Rachel, according to your avatar you are a squirrel. Everyone knows squirrels shouldn't drive. :-)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's right! We know for sure that squirrels can't drive, but I don't think we ever settled the controversy over whether squirrels can play ukulele.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bun is correct. And bunnies can't play ukulele, either. I mean furry bunnies. Oh you know what I mean.

message 41: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Yes, it is true, my apologies. A bunny. No, bunnies do not play ukuleles, however, Jackie is correct, we have not settled the squirrel/ukulele controversy.

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Lobsters can't play the ukulele or the flute, but we do drive Kia Rios.