Play Book Tag discussion

The Catcher in the Rye
This topic is about The Catcher in the Rye
Archive: Other Books > The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments Okay so I know this is a classic so I feel a bit bad rating it so low. I'll start with what I liked about it. I liked that Holden was a bit of a weirdo especially for someone from 1945 and he did make me laugh the first few times he talked about fake people or as he called them "phonies" but after a while it just started to feel repetitive and I got tired of him making fun of everyone for everything. I mean I get it I've felt like that at times, I just wish by the end he had grown or at least changed in some way but as far as I could tell he hadn't. I guess that wasn't the point of the book which is fine I just personally started to get sick of him by the end. There were some quotes in it that I enjoyed though such as this one: “Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.”
“Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it.”
Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it’s a game, all right—I’ll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren’t any hot-shots, then what’s a game about it? Nothing. No game.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments This is one of my favorites, so I'm always sad to see someone not love it- but I totally understand.

Holden Caulfield is like the original hipster, thinking it's "cool" to hate on everything.

Magdalena | 414 comments I know I'm sorry! I know this is some peoples favorite book. I think if I had read it when I was I bit younger I would have related to it more. Maybe I'll try it again when I'm older if that makes any sense