Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Toilet Paper Books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Robert Collins (stephenrobertcollins) | 99 comments This poll for the worst books only fit for .....

message 2: by Nyla (new)

Nyla Panzilius (nylap) | 71 comments Personally, I think every book has value, even if it is only to a few people, or just the person who wrote it. We all have different minds, opinions, and preferences. You might read something you absolutely love, and I might think it's terrible, or vice versa. But both of our opinions are valuable, telling us not just about the work in question, but also about each other as human beings.
As an aspiring writer, I value the constructive criticism of other intelligent people. It helps me grow as a writer, and it shows me how unique each person's thinking happens to be. But if someone read my work, and the only feedback they could give me is that they would wipe their ass with it . . . well, I guess that review would be worth the paper it was written on!

❤SanaReads❤ I think I've read more than 900 books and as horrible as some can be, I don't think they're only good as toilet papers because each work has its own fans. Besides, tastes differ...

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments Agree with Nyla and Sana completely

RyanneAndHerBooks | 64 comments I had a worker at BAM say a book I was looking for was toilet paper. I was looking for Milk & Honey and my mom went to ask the worker where to find it. He said, "That's not poetry, it's toilet paper."

He was so lucky he hadn't said it to me because he can have an opinion but you don't tell a customer the book they want is toilet paper. It's rude and unprofessional. He would have been out of a job.

Anyway, my point is that I was angry someone trashed a poetry book I liked with no respect. Therefore, I wouldn't call any book toilet paper unless it clearly discriminated against a group of people or sent out a purposely hurtful message.

I think a better name for this thread would be:
Books You Really Really Did Not Like

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments My problem is--there have been several books that I would have loved IF the author had bothered with a real live editor. Some I just couldn't get past the first chapter because there were just so many problems with the editing and lay out. And yes, before anyone asks, I AM OCD. But my being OCD doesn't excuse them for not taking true pride in their craft. There are entire groups out there of fellow authors who can't afford the price that a decent editor charges, but who get together and help each other edit their books. Join such a group. In the mean time, I will be warning others that until that is done they really don't want to read your works.

That's my definition of a book that the OP would classify as TP. I've written reviews to that effect--that if only the author had just gotten an editor in the book would be a 5 star read. But with the typos, bad editing and general laziness and reliance on Spell Checker the book only rated 1 star. And on one or two of those books I've been jumped by rabid fans (and no, I'm not going to say who's fans they are, just that the author sells a lot of the badly written and edited drivel. And her work could be really great if she'd just do her due diligence, because her ideas are truly wonderful, if only her writing and editing matched them.)

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Robert Collins (stephenrobertcollins) | 99 comments People are taking this too series this comical poll about ghastly books that you hated so much that it was fun. Every year I hope that don't find The Bullshit*t award (worst book) & the Toliet Paper or the that's 2nd worst book so if not got have good laugh forget it

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Can I list more than one?

Three Women
Beowulf
Bird Box

message 9: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments Caraval

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) This is not a constructive thread and will just end in fights over people defending certain books and that's not what should happen.

message 11: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Um what?