Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Reading: Nominations > July 2018 - "Series" Business

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
This time around we will be giving our miniseries a go, I will provide a link to a post which includes all of our series with the amount of pages between 700 and 1000, I will just give a quick rundown first:

Nanotech by Kathleen Ann Goonan Total pages: 992
World of the Five Gods by Lois McMaster Bujold Total pages: 966
After Such Knowledge by James Blish Total pages: 916
Metropolitan by Walter Jon Williams Total pages: 915
Tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card Total pages: 894
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell Total pages: 882
Sprawl by William Gibson Total pages: 877
Eschaton by Charles Stross Total pages: 869
Earthseed by Octavia E. Butler Total pages: 793
Neanderthal Parallax by Robert J. Sawyer Total pages: 778
Sleepless by Nancy Kress Total pages: 777
The Once and Future King by T.H. White Total pages: 743
Ridle-Master by Patricia A. McKillip Total pages: 716

The detailed information can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
I am nominating Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series. Not because I am particularly interested in reading it, but because I happen to have it and would like to get it off the list (fingers crossed for it not being too terrible).

Between the three books there are 5 awards, so here's to hoping!

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
Me, Eschaton by Chales Stross, but only because I have read the first three Alvin Makers and then quit through disinterest years ago. Then I tried again a few years later during a dry spell and didn't get through the second one.

My library has them all, though, so I will try again if everybody chooses them.

message 4: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited May 05, 2018 06:46AM) (new)

Or maybe I didn't quit through disinterest. Maybe it's my usual thing, by the time the next book comes out, I can't remember the last one. I have that problem a lot. Apparently I have had Alzheimer's re books and movies/TV for years. They just don't stay in my mind.

I've read the first two Alvin's enough, though that I remember a bit.

message 5: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 851 comments Mod
World of the Five Gods seems interesting: I'm not a huge fan of fantasy, but I really liked "Penric and the Shaman". I've been curious whether the rest of the series is as good, so this would be a good chance to read the other books.

message 6: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I have read the first two recently, and they are great. I could read them again even. I got stuck on the third (not nominated) because, I now realize, it was out of sequence. It happens several hundred (?) years earlier . . . so I have not gone on to Penric yet.

The world-building is so great, and of course Bujold is always great. Have you read the Vorkosigan books?

message 7: by Bryan, Village Idiot (last edited May 08, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "Or maybe I didn't quit through disinterest. Maybe it's my usual thing, by the time the next book comes out, I can't remember the last one. I have that problem a lot. Apparently I have had Alzheimer..."

My wife will reread the entire series when a new one comes out. like 17 books strong and she starts them all over. I don't know how she does it. I don't think I could reread the same book 10+ times.

My nomination is going to be The Sparrow. An existential/deotific crisis brought on by a first contact sounds pretty amazing to me!

message 8: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
The nominations so far:

World of the Five Gods by Lois McMaster Bujold Total pages: 966
Tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card Total pages: 894
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell Total pages: 882
Eschaton by Charles Stross Total pages: 869

Don't forget to check what books are suggested by other users to be read in every series, some have titles that didn't win either of the awards but are essential to understanding the plot and appreciating the story. Here's the link once again https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

sounds like we are going to have a bunch of miniseries all with one vote! :-)

message 10: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 4001 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "sounds like we are going to have a bunch of miniseries all with one vote! :-)"

I'm fine with seconding any of the listed, because I've read none of them. I like Stross and I liked the only two books by Card I've read but I heard he is very uneven as to the quality of his books.

message 11: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited May 10, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Yes, I agree that Card is uneven. I tried many of his books over the years, but the only ones that have stuck are Ender, Alvin, and one other book from the Science Fiction Book Club that was pretty weird. If I think of the name, I will post it.

message 12: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
I've put up a poll for us to vote on the books we have nominated for our July group read.

Art and I have been talking about starting a challenge for the bigger series that would span over several months (depending on the size of the series). Art has a lot of great ideas about prizes for the challenge. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to message us. If there is a lot of ideas, then we'll make a thread to talk it over.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Orson Scott Card (other topics)