What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 1950's/60's book re: little girl who became smaller when she went thru bedroom closet.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (last edited May 04, 2018 07:29PM) (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments I read this book when I was in the 4th, 5th or 6th grade...around 1962, 1963, or 1964.

Children's book

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments This is very, very close....But the little girl in the book I read was not rude or mean, didn't have siblings (not that I remember) and didn't go to a castle to see a countess after she'd entered the tunnel.

But I wrote the name of it down & author, I may want to read it someday.

Thanks for your help & input! : )

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Huh, there are very few books with the "back of the closet" plotline. Narnia, of course, but not many others.

Maybe this one then?

The Door in the Closet

But it does mention siblings.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments Thanks so much.

There could be siblings, but I don't remember anyone but the little girl.

And it was like she lived in a typical 1950's or 1960's household in the USA.

My initial post really doesn't say all I wanted it to. LOL I was unsure of how to post.

The girl somehow found the door or opening in back of her bedroom closet & walked thru it, over a bridge (I think), & into the woods (?) and had "tea" with some animals. IDK if she realized right away she grew tiny every time she did this.

One day, she was eating w/ animals and heard her mom call her name. She rushed away from table, over bridge, & back into door/opening in closet. When she got in her bedroom, she happened to look down at her hand and in it was a teeny, tiny teacup that proved she always grew tiny when doing this & proved she'd had "tea" with her little animal friends.

Thanks pretty much all I can remember.

Thanks for your help! : )

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris | 17 comments Hey Beth, good news. I remember exactly the story you describe and it was indeed The Door in the Closet as Rainbowheart mentioned above. :)

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (lizabeth) | 16 comments Well, thanks, Chris, but this book is definitely not it.

The book I read was set in contemporary American (early to mid 60's) and did not have "3 children" with the name of "Straynge."

Thanks, but this is definitely not the one I read. I wish it WAS!

God bless.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Beth?