Play Book Tag discussion

Head On (Lock In, #2)
This topic is about Head On
Archive: Other Books > Head On - John Scalzi (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments Head On is another police procedural mystery set in the world of Lock In where people who contracted a disease that paralyzes their bodies (hence locking them in) can use robots to host their neural network in order to live lives in the outside world. The main character, Chris, is an individual who contracted the disease as a young child and was one of the earlier (and as the child of a famous basketball player, most famous) people to contract the disease. Now Chris works for the FBI. The mystery in this book involves a sport where Hayden's (the name for those locked in) play a game where the goal is to rip off the head of one of their opponent's threeps (or robots) and score a goal with it. One of the players dies and Chris and his partner try to find out how he died and whether or not the death was natural causes.

Although I liked Lock In better (partly because the world was so unique), I enjoyed this book. I listened to the Amber Benson audio book version (thus, although Scalzi does not identify Chris' gender, Chris is a female in my head). I was not all that surprised by the end, but I did enjoy seeing how they came to the conclusion. Although they are in the background of the novel, I find the political and sociological aspects of the world interesting and I look forward to seeing where else Scalzi takes it in future books.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I have got to get to this author. But, I am more intrigued by his space operas. This one is not that, correct?

I am probably going to get the title wrong, but the one I keep coming back to is Fallen Empire. That is not right...something Empire.

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments Correct. This is not space. I think the one you are thinking about is The Collapsing Empire. I have that on my kindle, but have not yet read it.

Jgrace | 3112 comments Cora wrote: "Head On is another police procedural mystery set in the world of Lock In where people who contracted a disease that paralyzes their bodies (hence locking them in) can use robots to host their neura..."

Chris is Wil Wheaton in my head. :) I've been looking forward to the audio of this one.

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments I think I want to listen to that version too and see what is different.