Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2298 comments Endure, endure, endure. That word came up a lot in this story of Afghanistan. Endurance and survival are certainly one of the themes. What Miriam and Laila have to deal with is so cruel, so tragic and yet this is a moving story of friendship.

The two women are at least a generation apart. In a few cases Miriam is taken as Laila's mother but that is not the case. They are very different in their backgrounds too. Miriam was the illegitimate child of a wealthy man, she and her mother lived in (what I assume was) a shack in a small town area. Miriam's father saw her often and she loved him but he had a family he kept separate from her.

Laila was the loved child of two intelligent and progressive parents in the days before the Russians came. She had two brothers and her father was a school teacher so they were all educated. Then the turmoil of the Russian invasion, the civil unrest following that to find what group would rule Afghanistan, followed by the Taliban. All of this part of the endurance.

I listened to the audio and it was very well done. The reader is Atossa Leoni, "an internationally recognized actress of the stage and screen. She was born in Germany, has lived in Italy, and went to school in the United States, and is fluent in five languages. She made her American film debut in The Kite Runner in 2007. The books she has narrated include Stones into Schools and Three Cups of Tea, both by Greg Mortenson." This book must have included one of the languages she speaks because her pronunciation (to my untrained ear) sound perfect. I'm so glad I listened to this because the times when the words were Dari or Pashto would have slowed the pace of the story and, I feel, I would have lost something.

Highly recommended, especially for the insight into the lives of Afghan people and the women of Afghanistan in particular.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6849 comments I love Khaled Hosseini's writing and feel like I've learned so much reading his books.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review. I read this last month. Such a good book. I love his writing. This story at times took me to a place that I can’t imagine living.

message 4: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9055 comments I loved this one!

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Amazing read. Have you read Hosseini's other books? Great review.

message 6: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2298 comments Jason wrote: "Amazing read. Have you read Hosseini's other books? Great review."

Yes, just a few months ago I read And the Mountains Echoed and loved it. I read The Kite Runner as my first of Hosseini's and didn't like it as well as others did, nor as well as these two. I'm thinking that I should give it another try but I rarely re-read as my TBR is just too huge!

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9055 comments This one was my favourite of the three and "Mountains" was only ok for me (or maybe I rated it good, but based on memory, I'd go with merely ok).