The Reader's Bar discussion

Daughter
This topic is about Daughter
Open for Discussion > May Book Discussion: Daughter: A Novel

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Post your questions and comments about this book below.

message 2: by Denise (new)

Has anyone started the book yet? If so, what are your first impressions? I am still waiting for a copy from my library.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

We don't carry this one so I will be sitting this one out. I will however stay tuned to the discussion to see how much everyone is loving it.

message 4: by Denise (new)

MsG wrote: "We don't carry this one so I will be sitting this one out. I will however stay tuned to the discussion to see how much everyone is loving it."

Ok. We will miss you.

message 5: by Denise (new)

What do you think of Miriam’s and Aya’s Relationship?

message 6: by Denise (new)

What do you think of the situation that landed Aya in trouble when she was younger?

message 7: by Denise (new)

What do you think of Miriam's mother’s rules for women?

message 8: by Denise (new)

Anyone else start this book? If so, what are your first impressions. I struggling a little with this book. It is very slow moving.

message 9: by Denise (new)

What do you think of Miriam and Bird’s relationship?

message 10: by Denise (new)

What do you think of how Bird was treated when he came back from the war?

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Alleyne | 75 comments Denise wrote: "Anyone else start this book? If so, what are your first impressions. I struggling a little with this book. It is very slow moving."

I finally finished cause I forced myself to so I could discuss. It was extremely slow moving but it redeemed itself a smidge at the end.

message 12: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Alleyne | 75 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of Miriam and Bird’s relationship?"

Their relationship is cute because we all went through young love. The problem is that being so young you are rarely equipped to deal with grown up issues and responsibilities so they had to learn the hard way. Also, we forget sometimes how black men struggle with being the bread winner and that pressure to provide when everything is against them. I think women are more equipped to deal because we just see it as we gotta do what we gotta do and we keep it moving.

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Alleyne | 75 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of how Bird was treated when he came back from the war?"

He was treated horribly but that's normal to this day and so very sad. I think that happens to a lot of young men, they think about signing up and they think about going through the training but they never think about after and no one tells them the reality of it either. You just felt for him because his struggle in that regard was so real.