Play Book Tag discussion

What is Narrative Therapy?  An Easy to Read Introduction
Archive: Other Books > What is Narrative Therapy by Alice Morgan; 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 9341 comments Prepare for a number of dry psychology books coming shortly, within weeks. Perhaps you guys will enjoy the couples material. This one less so....

This quick book illustrates the precepts, theory, and technique of narrative therapy, written by Alice Morgan, one of the early pioneers and forerunners of this model. I read it as a supplement to a course for continuing education credits. To me, narrative therapy is indistinguishable from good therapy, it doesn't have much unique to call its own. While narrative theorists and therapists would have a field day from my saying so, or would think I failed to grasp the nuances and basic tenets and precepts that make it different, I will continue to feel very much at home withe psychoanalytic psychodynamic movement. That to me feels like it gets at the heart of healing and transformation and the authentic self. Everything else feels somewhat simplistic and watered down to me. However, what is most poignant about Narrative therapy, is that it is about the stories we tell about our identities, our lives, our circumstances - and the premise is that we can re-author anew, forge a new relationship, an alternative story to our identities. And that there is healing and hope in the creation of something new. I am no stranger to storytelling, and neither are any of us. I think that premise is something we can all get behind - the importance of our stories and telling them in a way that makes us free to be our more authentic selves. Right on!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This is very interesting. It seems that narrative therapy can be used for many types of issues if I’m understanding this correctly. PTSD, eating disorders, family counseling. I’ve not heard of this specifically but the concept sounds familiar to me.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 9341 comments There is a lot of hair splitting amongst the varying types of psychotherapy movements. To me the concept is more powerful than the varying definitions and the varying principles behind the splits. But reclaiming our identities through stories - none of us are strangers to that concept. But yes, applicable in all those areas.

message 4: by Cynda (last edited May 05, 2018 05:36AM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Hi. Glad you posted this Amy. When dealing with everyday problems and bumps in the road, I am the one who controls my perceptions by the stories I tell myself. I can change/shift my perceptions by the story I tell myself. Those stories become my stories. When I was younger someone else present might have wanted to create an emotional drama. I learned how to create a blank face with direct eye contact.
About 15 years ago I asked someone why no one gossiped with me. Her response, "Are you joking? You look at us like we are dumb----es." Blank face and eye contact. Often I chose the story to be nothingness.
This again works for everyday stuff that can cause dramatic characters self-created problems. For many years now I have refused to be that person anymore.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 9341 comments The narrative therapy people would love you, Cynda! Yes, we can change the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves. We can forge new possibilities. Next up: today I am reading in its entirety, the Seven Principles of Making Marriage Work. I am teaching a class in couples counseling that starts in two weeks and this is one of the required texts on the pre-existing syllabus. Wait until I get a hold of reshaping the thing, but in the meantime, it’s not a bad start. A planned Starbucks afternoon, where I can knock off more or most of Lord of the Flies, Little Fires Everywhere, all of the Seven Principles, and plan Class One. Soon I will have more to share from the psychology world.

message 6: by Cynda (last edited May 05, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Amy wrote: "The narrative therapy people would love you, Cynda! Yes, we can change the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves. We can forge new possibilities. Next up: today I am reading in its entirety, th..."

And I will have to tell you more about my spiritual work :-)

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Interesting