Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Pillars of the Earth **starting Oct. 15th**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 228 (228 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments whew! Finally one I've already read, haha.

message 2: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 14, 2009 12:15PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Fiona wrote: "Yes but I'm not sure when... maybe after September.. October range?"

don't you forget about Tea Rose or Wives & Daughters missy! Those are bricks too you know!

message 3: by Summer (new)

Summer | 57 comments I am definitely interested... Its just sitting on my bookshelf staring at me! Anytime works for me!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I don't care when we get to W&D really :P its all good.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments :) I'll have Sylvia's Lovers soon enough to tide me over for awhile if I need a Gaskell fix.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I saw Mary Barton at the used bookstore but it was like $7 and I didn't want to pay that much :P

anyway...*zip* this is a Pillars of the Earth thread, my bad.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Fiona wrote: "Nooooo I want Sylvia's Lovers badly!

$7? That's £4.23 which is a bit steep second hand but in the UK most used books cost about $4.95 each anyway.

Err *cough* anyway will you be reading the secon..."

World Without End? I will someday I guess. Maybe if we end up reading it all together I will.

Pillars, for me anyway, wasn't really a book to get enthusiastic/excited over...it was a book to get lost in, because its sooo long and engrossing I came out on the other side and had to remember that the book wasn't my real life.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments great :P now that I'm thinking about it y'all are making me want to re-read it with you.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 43 comments I'd be interested in reading this, too. My husband bought it for me a long time ago and I've been feeling kind of bad for not having read it yet! October sounds good to me.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I don't know if I portrayed what I'm trying to say about this book well earlier...I mean it isn't the type of book you rush through in excitement to find out what happens next while pumping your fist in the air at the book's awesomeness...its just the type of book you read slow and steady and just get completely lost in. I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing, because it isn't!

message 11: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I'll read it during the second half of October. I'm like Heather, I have Suite Française the beginning of that month but nothing after.

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I have Pillars, so I'll join. Probably after September would be better for me... Oh and did I read something about Tea Rose. I just got that on Paperbackswap... I'd love to read it with the group.

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments i might manager an October read too

message 14: by Patricia (last edited Aug 14, 2009 07:38PM) (new)

Patricia | 31 comments Last year I bought Pillars in mint condition for $3.00 at my local library. I have not read it yet. October would be better for me.

Don't you just love getting a "like new" book for such a great price? I just LOVE all my books, but especially the bargains. (As you read this, I want you to know that I am not really odd - I do have friends and family who love me too!) haha

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3676 comments Mod
Oh Patricia, have no fear, we are all just as crazy - or crazier - about our books.

I recently (yesterday) bought a looks-like-it-was-MAYBE-carefully-read-once copy of Mason & Dixon for $1.99. I've never read anything by Pynchon before, but I couldn't pass up a deal like that!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments ...I type this having just come from the room I keep all my books in. I was talking to them.

Beat that.

...not in a sad-pathetic-they-are-my-only-friends way...but a "ooo I forgot I had you old girl!" sorta thing.

LOL.

message 17: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Well... I was just gazing lovingly at mine, as I have three bookcases within head-turn range of my current position, and I was pondering reorganizing them based on the amount that I love them. So, naturally, (as I don't forget the books that I own... much) I was reminiscing on our good times, and comparing good times with one vs. good times with another...

I haven't gotten a lot of reorganizing done, but I have realized that it is time for a re-read of some books soon.

message 18: by Becky, Moddess (new)

O_o

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments hey, I did that last weekend! I made a couple of shelves my favorites :) I even left room for the sequels to Graceling and Hunger Games!!! hahahaha.

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (new)

GRACELING!!! *sob* Don't even talk to me about that book.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments ...wait, why?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments if you want to read it I can loan you mine.

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

O_O Really? Yeah... someone was supposed to send it to me and... couldn't I guess, or forgot or something. I don't know.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments sure, I'll let you borrow mine :) I'll send it to you in a couple days.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments you know the drill...if you rip the dust jacket I will cut you ;)

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

YAY! Oh, and I bought you a present too. :P I'll ship it tomorrow.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments *dances a jig*

I'm already so excited about Push Not the River!!

message 28: by Becky, Moddess (new)

You should be! I really loved it!

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments I'm in too... just have to pick up a copy by October :)

message 31: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 39 comments Count me in, I already have a copy collecting dust on the shelf, it needs to uncollect dust!

message 32: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 1 comments I'm definitely in. I've been wanting to read Pillars of the Earth for ages.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 12 comments October works for me. :)

I am looking forward to reading it!

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 71 comments I really loved Pillars of the Earth and look forward to getting in on the discussion... for me it was like a really great historical fiction mini-series on TV... It was a long read (which is why I haven't had a chance to start the sequel), but engrossing nonetheless.

message 35: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 12 comments I'm such a nerd... I bought this book today! :)

message 36: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) I already have this book had started it a few years ago but then job changes etc..and I stopped reading it....I would love to get back into it but can we spread it out like talk about a few chapters a week etc...so we are all on the same chapter the same time or around the same chapter? I also want to read some horror book in October.

Also Becky I am sending you Graceling tomorrow...I promise...so much has happened in life lately and haven't been able to send it...please forgive me...I promise you can even have this copy. :~)

message 37: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Woohoo! It's no problem Lisa, I was just being dramatic. I just want to read it so badly, but I understand that sometimes life interrupts! :)

message 38: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) oh I know...it's totally my fault...I promised you it a long time ago and I have had a surgery and other stuff come up...one being a new job etc..etc..but I have it right here next to the big envelope I'm sending it in. :~)

message 39: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Well I'm glad that the surgery seems to have gone well and you got a new job. Both definitely good things.

And... Thank you! :)

message 40: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) I'd be in for a read of Pillars of the Earth. It's been glaring at me for almost a year from my TBR shelf.

message 41: by Becky, Moddess (new)

H - Salem's Lot is great! I don't think it's all that scary though... You should read The Shining if you've never read it. I love that book!

message 42: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Oh!!! I'll read The Shining ANYTIME - it's seriously one of my favorite books EVER, so if you want to read it, I'll read it with you!

message 43: by Becky, Moddess (new)

YAY!!!

message 44: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Cool... Salem's Lot is kind of a "fall" book, so if you want to wait on The Shining, I'm good with that. The Shining is definitely 100% a snow-on-the-ground winter book. I know you probably won't have snow, but you can pretend!

message 45: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Really? I would love to. I could seriously read that book a dozen times a year. I love it!

message 46: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Perfect!

message 47: by Jon (last edited Aug 18, 2009 05:26AM) (new)

Jon | 342 comments Heather wrote: "Lisa Julianna wrote: "I already have this book had started it a few years ago but then job changes etc..and I stopped reading it....I would love to get back into it but can we spread it out like ta..."

Not HF though is it?

message 48: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jon, do you mean Pillars? That is definitely HF! :)

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 71 comments Salem's Lot remains one of my top three Stephen King books... I re-read it a few years ago and I thought it generally held up pretty well... always love a good vampire book!

message 50: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Fiona wrote: "Yes, we hi-jacked the historical pillars thread with Stephen King.

Whoops."

That's OK. As Mod and Minion Keeper, I will not be upset with threads being taken over by Stephen King.

*Props a life-size Stephen King cut-out in the corner* :P

« previous 1 3 4 5