Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > YA Recs- no fantasy...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by *Sophie* (new)

*Sophie* (booksandbackflips) | 5 comments I really need some YA recs and any type of YA book apart from fantasy. Thanks!

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Maybe try Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

message 3: by Sail ♛ (new)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 39 comments For YA contemporary I'd highly recommend Geekerella by Ashley Poston and Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson!

As for historical fiction there's The Book Thief by Markus Zusak or Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I agree with the person above me who already said Eliza and Her Monsters (:

message 4: by E. (new)

E.  | 12 comments I really enjoyed those :)
The Art of Escaping by Erin Callahan How to Repair a Mechanical Heart (Mechanical Hearts, #1) by J.C. Lillis Saints and Misfits by S.K. Ali You're Welcome, Universe by Whitney Gardner

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 49 comments The Martian by Andy Weir Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray (it'S not fantasy but it has many multiverses)

message 6: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta The Hate U Give is brilliant, and of course there's Becky Albertalli's books.

message 7: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 113 comments Frank wrote: "Maybe try Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia"

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Amy & Rogers epic detour by Morgan Matson.
And I'll second or third, The Eliza and her monsters by Francesca Zappia

message 9: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta Oh, I thought of another - Tamar by Mal Peet. It's part historical fiction, part contemporary, with two interlinking storylines - one about two WW2 soldiers in Holland and the other about the granddaughter of one of those soldiers attempting to solve a mystery. I read it in my mid-teens and absolutely loved it.

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited May 04, 2018 06:25PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments Chloe, Queen of Denial and its companion book Eyeliner of the Gods are fun reads. They are about a couple of high school girls who get to go screen sand in a dig in Egypt. They are by 2 different authors, which is why I listed both of them.

What about sci-fi? If that's ok, check out Invitation to the Game. I'm in the What's the Name of that Book group (we try to help others find the forgotten title of a book) and that particular book is one of our most often searched for in YA. I think it's at 12 requests right now.

If you like totally out there, but fun to read stories, there is Perfect Cover--what's the best cover for underage spies? CHEERLEADERS of course.

Twenty and Ten this might be a bit younger than you are going for, but I'm going to suggest it anyway. WWII setting, at a French boarding school run by nuns. The 20 are the students at the school. The 10 are 10 Jewish children that they hide from the Nazi's.

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You Another of the teenaged spies, this one at a boarding school.

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes this one is definitely a tear jerker. The titular Sarah Byrnes has an abusive father and only one friend. Who is, of course, the one "staying fat".

Catherine, Called Birdy historical "coming of age" type of book, medieval setting

this next one is a series. Totally unbelievable, but a great light read. The first book is The Accidental Movie Star all the books have the word Accidental in their title, and have some kind of connection to the characters in the other books in the series.

13 Little Blue Envelopes the envelopes in the title are left to the MC by her aunt, who has recently died from cancer. She goes all over Europe, doing things that the Aunt asks her to do. Then there is The Last Little Blue Envelope finishes off the story.

A Summer to Die total tear jerker again. The girl's older sister dies from cancer. It's about the younger sister trying to figure out how to deal with it. This one always makes me cry, and I believe in the way the younger sister reacts because, well, my oldest grandson was diagnosed with cancer 6 weeks before his 5th birthday. While he didn't die (he's 15 years in remission now) his younger brother was left trying to figure out what the heck was going on and why things were so weird and why he couldn't have his friends over to play any more, and well, all things like that.

Tomorrow, When the War Began I'm not sure what genre to put this one under. Think https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/... Think the movie Red Dawn only in Australia instead of the U.S. This is a series.

Mara, Daughter of the Nile historical, set in Ancient Egypt in the time of Hatshepsut.

Jacob Have I Loved another one that will make you cry. Coming of age story about twin sisters, one of whom is the "favoured" one.

The Forgotten Daughter another historical, this one set in Ancient Rome.

And, well, that's all that I can think of off the top of my head (and a quick mining of my 162 pages of books--not all of which have been sorted by genre)

message 11: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne Cendaquenta wrote: "The Hate U Give is brilliant, and of course there's Becky Albertalli's books."

The Hate u give is amazing! If you like reading historical books I would also highly recommend the book thief or salt to the sea. Both are beautiful books about the second world war!

message 12: by maria (new)

maria  (vasterthanempires) definitely Emergency Contact :)

message 13: by *Sophie* (new)

*Sophie* (booksandbackflips) | 5 comments Thank you all so much for this! And in only a few hours as well! I’m definitely going to add all these books to my TBR 😁

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

message 15: by Jayati (new)

Jayati (justacoffeeaddictedbibliophile) | 3 comments Books by Morgan Matson or Kasie West or Jenny Han?

message 16: by Addison (new)

Addison Dixon Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton, A Voice In the Wind by Francine Rivers, The Jane Austen Diaries by Jenni James, Sixteenth Summer series by Michelle Dalton. I hear The Book Thief is good. (The first two can be read by both young adults and adults.

message 17: by Arden (new)

Arden N (anorian625) | 12 comments the extraordinary journey of the fakir who got trapped in an ikea wardrobe buy roman puértolas