Play Book Tag discussion

Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
This topic is about Seven Little Australians
May 2018: Family Drama > Seven Little Australians - 3 *** for me...

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I can definitely see why Ethel Turner's Seven Little Australians was popular. It's almost like a Little House on the Prairie for other side of the world. However, it's now so dated it's best to read it as historical fiction.

The boys are beaten, even though it clearly does no good. The 16 yo girl-child is appalled to learn that a boy wants a kiss from her, despite the fact that she's secretly pulling her stays in an effort to get well under a 21 inch waist. The stepmother of these six is only 20 years old, and already has a baby with their father. There's lots of context, jargon, etc. to learn in order to actually understand much of it.

Worth reading in context of discussion and history lesson, but I can't actually recommend it.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Ha ha ha, I won't be reading this, but your summary was pretty amusing.

A 21 inch waist? I would need more than stays . . .

message 3: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I actually think I might enjoy this since I love history so much. I loved the Little House on the Prairie books when I was a kid even though those seemed a bit ridiculous and dated to me at times.