Reading 1001 discussion

The Moor's Last Sigh
This topic is about The Moor's Last Sigh
1001 book reviews > The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 3 stars
I think perhaps Rushdie is above my head. I think perhaps this book is worthy of five stars but I simply didn't see it. I think my review is that of one reader who didn't follow his magical tale well enough. But, I am one reader and I can only review a book for what I actually took from the book, and for me this book didn't allow me to connect. I was impressed with the quality of the writing which was absolutely sublime, but I never really cared about the characters. I found myself flipping forward to try to find the next chapter break because I really just wanted it to end. For me it is between 2 and 3 stars with a round up for the attentive writing.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "3 stars
I think perhaps Rushdie is above my head. I think perhaps this book is worthy of five stars but I simply didn't see it. I think my review is that of one reader who didn't follow his magical..."

Ill be posting more questions tonight. Didn’t think people would finish so soon

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jen wrote: "Kelly wrote: "3 stars
I think perhaps Rushdie is above my head. I think perhaps this book is worthy of five stars but I simply didn't see it. I think my review is that of one reader who didn't foll..."

I will watch for it. I read one book at a time start to finish, so it happens that way for me.

Amanda Dawn | 1245 comments Noticed this was a BOTM last year, and it was a randomiser for me this year. Overall, I greatly enjoyed this book: it was ludicrous and original, and I like the way Rushdie weaved different generations and cultural identities together in it.

I found the parts about Aurora to be the most intriguing. The way the story not only focuses on the free-spirited personality cult figure herself, but on what it is like to be family to someone like that was great.

The constant illusion to the historical Moors as a symbol of the complications of cultural fusion was a great touch as well. I gave it 4 stars.