What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Historical Fiction, Medieval Children's Crusade. Chronicles of boy/ group of children traveling from England to Middle East where many become slaves. Read in 1973.

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments Protagonist is a young boy, but follows a group of children from England to the Middle East where many become slaves. One (unusually beautiful) girl is badly mistreated and eventually becomes a bitter toothless prostitute.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Children's, YA, or adult?
Author female or male?
Remember the cover?

message 3: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments It was in the Radnor High School library and had a sky blue background. It was very thick.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 226 comments Ok, just in case there’s a typo or something off with you date.... I thought I’d link to this book which, in many ways, looks like it could be the one.

An Army of Children - Evan H. Rhodes

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 6: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments Wow, that is really close. It has been so long since I read it. I will see if it stirs loose some cob webs. Thank you. I also remember that the author had a very long list of other works.

message 7: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments The date was off. I must have read it in 1973.

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Army Of Children - one of the main characters, a young French girl named Laurelle, is very beautiful and is badly mistreated, though I think she dies vs becoming a prostitute. Rhodes has written more than ten other novels.

First published in 1978 though, so if you really did read it in 1973 it can't be that one.

message 9: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments Thank you.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Steva, just to confirm, is Army Of Children by Evan H. Rhodes your book?

message 11: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments I was 13 or 14, when I read it and left school by 1976. So I’m fairly sure it was another book.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Steva, how about The Children's Crusade, which I linked above? It was originally published in '59.

message 13: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments It is possible. It was a very upsetting book, at the time. The brutality of the time was disturbing. I will try to research more about the book to see it “rings a bell”. Thanks for the help!

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Steva, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 15: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments nope, never found it. thanks for asking.

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Were you able to rule out The Children's Crusade by Henry Treece?

message 17: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments I've read Henry Treece's The Children's Crusade and I don't think it fits the description. That book follows two children (a brother and sister) who join the Crusade and a priest who goes after them, and I'm pretty sure no-one ends up as a prostitute.

message 18: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments I will check the description. That's the problem with trying to remember books that you read at 14, when you are now 61. It was in my school library. Thanks for trying.

message 19: by Kris (last edited Jan 02, 2021 06:07PM) (new)

Wikipedia - Children's Crusade (1212): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childre...

I added some details to the header/topic title. You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, click the "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 20: by Steva (new)

Steva Vasara (stevavasara) | 11 comments Thank you.

message 21: by Kris (new)

You're welcome.

message 22: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Does anything on this list look familiar?

The Crusades in YA and Middle Grade Fiction