Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Upselling/Crossselling

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up-selling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-se...

Both upselling and crossselling bug the shit out of me. But they must work or companies would push neither.

This was in my head because today at Blockbuster the poor guy working there had to say "are you sure you don't want a diet coke deal?" or whatever. And I just wanted to get my movies (I Love You, Man, and Race to Witch Mountain, in case you were wondering) and go.

I guess if up/cross selling makes for my worst complaint on a pretty good day I'm doing ok. But they still bug me.

And...you?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I bet that employee hates asking that.

Also annoying: the constant reminder that no, I am not a B&N member and I never will be.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I hate it, but I try not to take it out on the poor minimum wage workers forced to spout it over and over.
No, I DON'T want a Meal Deal, or I would have ordered the cookie and drink already, thanks.

No, I don't want to spend $10 more to get the water bottle with the store logo on it, really.

The logo thing bugs me - I'm supposed to pay more for a product, so I can provide free advertising for them? No, THANKS.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes! I am not a member, either.

I feel bad for the YMCA people who have to ask "do you need a locker?" so I try to cut them off and say "no locker" before they can ask.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm not a member of Barnes & Noble, either, and I NEVER WILL BE. I'm still ticked at how they took over smaller local bookstores as they moved into new markets.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

I once was, and it was sorta satisfying to save a bit on every book I bought. But then I realized that still didn't add up to enough to negate the yearly charge on my credit card.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments They charge too much to be a member. But I use my Borders coupons all the time.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments when asked "do you want to supersize it?"

i go "is it free?"

that seems to be a huge stumper

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RA - WHat's the "do you need a locker?"? Do you have to pay to lock your stuff up?

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I get so annoyed at having to say that kind of selling crap.
I used to be a cashier at Michaels before I got promoted, and we had to ask Every customer if they wanted a balloon, or whatever crap they were trying to sell that week. Most of us didn't say it but every once in a while, or while the manager was listening.
I still ignore as much of the really redonkulous rules as I can possibly get away with.

message 11: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) What I hate is when they're so busy trying to push whatever it is they're pushing that they don't hear what I actually want. That's just poor customer service.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Julie wrote: "I still ignore as much of the really redonkulous rules as I can possibly get away with. "

That's my rule of thumb at most jobs, including the current one.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "RA - WHat's the "do you need a locker?"? Do you have to pay to lock your stuff up?"

No, but the front desk, where they check you in, is where the locker keys are. So when they run your ID through the scanner they ask if you need a locker. And if you say "yes" they keep your ID and give you a key.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Huh. So do you say no because you bring your own lock and key, or because you just carry your stuff around with you?

message 15: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 14, 2009 03:43PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I usually don't go into the locker room. I usually arrive at 5:00AM (although even I don't I often follow the same pattern) dressed in my workout clothes, etc. I carry my gym bag (it's only got my keys, mp3 player, headphones, wallet, and cell phone) and put it in a small wall-locker in the workout room. Everyone does that. No one locks the lockers.

After hearing about Jackie's mail/crystal meth thing and thinking about the unlocked lockers maybe I take where I live for granted.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

I feel really, really sorry for the workers at every Sally Beauty I've ever visited.

message 17: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I bought a sandbox and forgot sand. I wish the cashier had asked "do you need sand?" but she didn't. She said "do you need batteries?" which confused me and probably contributed to my forgetting to buy sand.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Why did she ask you if you needed batteries? Does she ask everyone that?

Come to think of it, for a while at Costco they were asking me if I needed stamps. That totally threw me off, too. I'm at Costco...no, I don't need stamps.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Lately, all the cashiers in town ask if you want a bag for your stuff, which I actually appreciate.

There's a vote up in Seattle about bags. I think it's to add a 20 cent charge for every bag, but it might be to ban them completely.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hurray for progress, Bun!

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) My mom has bags from a certain store and refuses to use them at any other store because they have the store name on them.

I know there are people out there just like her, so I plan on making my own bags instead of being tied down to going to one particular store, haha.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I use bags from Safeway at Top Food, and vice versa. I don't care, and they don't care, Angabel. But, it's neat that you're making your own bags. :)

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

We use bags from anywhere at every store. Some places give us a 5 cent discount per bag!

message 24: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) According to AP, Seattle adopted a 20-cent bag tax last year, and on Tuesday the city will vote on a referendum to repeal the tax.

I always feel slightly guilty using the bag from one store at another store, but then I remind myself that if I'm carrying that Fred Meyer bag in to Safeway, I'm not using a plastic one. Now if I could just consistently remember to keep the reusable bags in my car...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.