Readalongs with Ange discussion

May - Rebecca > Thoughts on Rebecca

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
Here we can discuss our thoughts about Rebecca as we read. I will also have a final thoughts discussion with spoilers

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina (goodreadscombookcharms) | 1 comments Hi, this month I will participate in Rebecca readalong and I can’t wait:) This will be my first time. Will you publish reading schedule as well? Nice reading everyone!

message 3: by Kinga (new)

Kinga Nina wrote: "Hi, this month I will participate in Rebecca readalong and I can’t wait:) This will be my first time. Will you publish reading schedule as well? Nice reading everyone!"

Hi Nina! I can't say anything for Ange, but I decided personally to concentrate on Rebecca the first two weeks of May. Since it's already 6th that gives 3 chapters per day. I might read more as Daphne du Maurier books have that effect on me.

message 4: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments I have already started with Rebeca. I hardly know anything about the plot. The first two chapters have intrigued me, I’m sure it’s going to be a great read. The way the story begins, turning back, seems very successful. It reminds me a book by Shirley Jackson, We have always live in the castle, where the story begins once the main events have already taken place and the author reveals the facts gradually.

message 5: by Kinga (new)

Kinga I know I'm behind the schedule I created for myself, but I hope to catch up in the next few days.

Firstly I want to say I only read one book by du Maurier before and that was "My Cousin Rachel" which I completely loved. Going into "Rebecca" I expected similar emotions, suspense and urgency for further reading, but so far it didn't happen.

The most prominant change for me is a female protagonist and that makes a whole world of a difference. Also with "My cousin Rachel" I felt existence of Rachel was far more oppresive and touching than that of Rebecca. I feel that the main character is just comparing herself to Rebecca constantly and tries to figure out who she is and how she should act. I find that to be quite general second younger wife syndrom.
Yes, I still like the writting style and will continue to read it, if only to find out what lurks beneath the surface as Rebecca is being portrayed until now too perfectly too be a true and whole character.

message 6: by MªJesús (new)

MªJesús Tovar | 20 comments I’ve only read half of the book by now. I think the sentence ‘second younger wife syndrom‘ is perfect to define the behaviour of the protagonist.
I would like her to be more secure and to try to find her place and her happiness in her new life. But she’s so young and unexperienced...
Last year I read My Cousin Rachel and I loved it, however with Rebecca I’m even more intrigued because there are a lot of secrets and mysteries to be solved.
I don’t know how everything started and I don’t know how it will end.

message 7: by Kinga (new)

Kinga I have read through half of the book (cue the ball) and if not for Mrs Danvers I'd find it far more boring and probably would DNF it. It's good to see the protagonist to slowly develop and form relationships with people around her. However, she's still very naive and easily manipulated. She's also day-dreaming about past, making it convincing stories, but only stories about Rebecca as well as others. It's very easy to forget that fact and treat it as part of the narrative. There's still a big chunk of story to tell to take the reader back to the beginning of the book. I wonder what else will come to light.

message 8: by Kinga (new)

Kinga Ok, I just finished chapter 19 and I need to talk about it with someone as all my feelings are confused now. Have you seen it coming? How? Where?