Readalongs with Ange discussion

May - The Tenant of.. > Thoughts on The Tenant...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
Here we can discuss the Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I will also have a final thoughts discussion where we can talk about spoilers etc.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Reads & Rambles (jessholl95) Ange wrote: "Here we can discuss the Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I will also have a final thoughts discussion where we can talk about spoilers etc."

Are you going to/have you done a chapter guide for the pace you're reading at like you did for 'East of Eden'? I really liked that and enjoyed following it, it kept me actively reading :)

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 14 comments I don't know about anyone else but my 80's Penguin Classics edition has an intro that almost makes me not want to read on. They should have put that at the end. I have not read any Bronte except Jane Eyre and wanted to go into this without really knowing much and they give a lot away in the intro. I was also confused at times not knowing if they were talking about the story or her real life.

message 4: by Umut (new)

Umut (umutreads) Yes, I would
Love a chapter guide too. It will push us to read towards it I think :) thanks Ange!

message 5: by Kinga (new)

Kinga First thing to mention is that I never NEVER ever read introductions before reading the book. I haven't yet read one that wouldn't include spoilers and interpretation of the story, soskip it if you have it and read it afterwards.
Since I finished the month with Far from the madding crowd, I'll be reading more modern Rebecca in the first half of the month and then The Tenant of Wildfell Hall from 16th of May, which gives about 3 chapters on workdays and 4 during weekends.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (racheliswriting) I'm doing pretty much the same thing as Kinga! ^ I've been looking forward to reading Tenant for awhile now. Pretty excited to get to it during the latter half of this month.

message 7: by Kinga (new)

Kinga I've read first 11 chapters so far and I rather enjoy it. Helen Graham is definitely a strong and opinionated character who divides the community. The narration style makes the story easy to follow and sympathize with the characters.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Reads & Rambles (jessholl95) I've just hit chapter 40 and I am adoring this novel. Helen is such a strong-willed, morally astute, and generally complex character. Haven't read a Brontë novel yet that hasn't enthralled and completely swept me away!

message 9: by Ange (new)

Ange | 54 comments Mod
Glad that you are enjoying the novel. I agree Helen is strong and opinionated and I just love her character.

Sorry I have been a bit quiet on here. I've had a few things going on this past month and am now just starting to catch up with everything.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest of the book :)

message 10: by Berna (last edited May 25, 2018 07:05AM) (new)

Berna | 0 comments I liked the book and the love story. The middle section felt a bit long though.
As for the characters, I felt Helen was too intolerant even for her time period, but still was good at heart and it did not put off me from the story.
I rated it three stars.

message 11: by Kinga (new)

Kinga I'm sad to say realities oflife have caught up with me and I had to return the book back to the library before I was done with it. I'm waiting currently for my own copy as I enjoyed what I read so far and want to continue with the story.