Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > 1 Henry IV / Shakespeare/ 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) 4 Stars.
I read this play as part of a personal goal--to read Shakespeare's first tetras of the War of the Roses this roses--and as part of our group's May Tag: Family Drama. V

Shakespeare's being the dramatic powerhouse he was created multiple family dramas within this play. 1. King Henry IV has an errant son Prince Henry/Harry/Hal who avoids his responsibilities as heir to the crown. 2. Bolingbrook who helped Henry IV dethrobe Richard II has a war-mongering son who would create civil war. 3. Prince Henry befriends a low-living drunk and thief Falstaff (knight) , and this friendship contributes to Prince Henry having family problems with King Henry IV.

One Theme: Powerful Men and their Heirs. How to convince powerful heirs that their power and positions require certain behaviors/actions? How does a parent believe wjen his willful heir says that he will comply with his proper roles? When does a parent give up one's child understanding power and responsibility? How do these decisions made by the parents and their heirs determine the fate of a country? Does a willful heir have to cut ties with low-living friends?

These are some of my thoughts about this complex play, so complex that Shakespeare had to continue the drama in 2 Henry IV and to complete the tetrad in Henry V.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Ambitious!

The last time I read any Shakespeare is in high school. I'm not sure I could read it without a guide. Seems very perfect for family drama.

How did you come to set this particular personal goal?

message 3: by Cynda (last edited May 04, 2018 02:01PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Hi Anita. I was long ago a English major, so I have a history of reading various Shakespeare plays. I have read most of the plays we think Shakespeare wrote singly or mostly. A couple of years ago I read all the poetry. Not my style, but I am acquainted. The history plays I put off because I am US American and get confused about titles and places. I decided that reading everything but the history plays was me being silly. I can try.
I use study guides, watch plays, read other materials. As I read this tetrad, I am also reading as a (very good) companion book Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle, and Drama by Peter Saccio. I was told and I keep learning that if I need help, to ask for it. Saccio is a good helper/teacher of Shakes.
Thanks for asking :-)

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8421 comments oh! So glad to see the royals included in Family drama. I am reading a book on Henry III and wondered if I might include in the Family Drama!

message 5: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Joanne wrote: "oh! So glad to see the royals included in Family drama. I am reading a book on Henry III and wondered if I might include in the Family Drama!"

Hi Joanne. Yes. Henry VIII created loads of family drama 😐 Good call.