What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Book, Fiction, Culture, Chinese & American : Spoilers Ahead

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Escarcega | 1 comments The story begins with a mother telling her daughter a bedtime story about a boy who lives across the world (China) who is just like her. He is the same age as her but he does things differently to her.
The main things I remember that were mentioned they did differently were:
-How he ate his meals (sitting on the floor, with his legs bent and that he used chopsticks instead of a fork or knife.
-How he took a bath ( In a huge tub where everyone bathed together: his parents and him)
-How he celebrated New Year ( they mention the Chinese New Year and the things they do like the dragon dance and what they wear)

The story ends with the Chinese mother telling her son about a girl who lives on the other side of the world that is just like him.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21363 comments What year did you read it?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 37365 comments Mod
Alexandra, is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a chapter book with mostly words?

message 4: by Paige (new)

Paige | 795 comments Bumping. Because this sounds like one my friend would like for her kid.

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige | 795 comments Bumping again. Because I'm still interested.

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige | 795 comments Bumping again because I'm still interested.

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige | 795 comments Bumping again because I still want to know.

message 8: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1227 comments I don't think this is the OP's book, but Paige might be interested: If You Were Me and Lived in...China: A Child's Introduction to Culture Around the World

message 9: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1227 comments The OP might be about the other side of the world bannon but this is about two boys instead of a boy and a girl and the boy on the other side of the world is in Japan instead of China. Note that the author's last name is not really part of the title, I think that is an error in the goodreads entry.

message 10: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1227 comments Hold the phone! I believe I have found the OP's book! Is it On the Other Side of the World by Michele Kahn. I couldn't find a listing on goodreads, but you can see the book here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/On-the-Other... and here with a brief description: http://www.paperbackswap.com/Side-Wor... Note that the description says this book is also about a Japanese boy rather than Chinese, but everything else matches. This book was originally written in French and published as L'autre bout du monde. If you can read French, you can get a lot of information here: http://mapetitemediatheque.over-blog....

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 41393 comments Mod
Note; the OP is Alexandra.

message 12: by Paige (new)

Paige | 795 comments Very exciting! Thank you Adele!