Historical Romance Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Gaol/Nominations > July, 2018 Nominations - Duke

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments For the month of July, we are reading HRs with DUKES. Ah! Dukes! Who doesn't love Dukes?

Rules of Nominations :
Not more than 2 nominations per member
No book we have read as a group read in the last 2 yrs (Please check the group's bookshelf).

Here are the lists:

Dukes....Bring'em on
Those Prestigious Dukes
Best Dukes
Romance Novels with Duke in the Title
Dukes

Nominations end on 15th of May, 2018

message 2: by Loriidae (last edited May 03, 2018 11:30PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments The Highland Duke (Lord of the Highlands) by Amy Jarecki
The Highland Duke Amy Jarecki

An author I have been meaning to try for a while now.

message 3: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I nominate Duchess in Love by Eloisa James. This is book#1 of her Duchess Quartet and listed under Virgin Heroes. A virgin Duke!

I also nominate These Old Shades. This was a group read in Jan, 2016 ( more than 2yrs ago).

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara James I nominate:

Duke of Pleasure
Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11) by Elizabeth Hoyt

and Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12) by Elizabeth Hoyt
Duke of Desire

both by Elizabeth Hoyt.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Oh yes Priya! These Old Shades is one of my fav HRs. I second that!

There are certainly plenty of books out there that fit this category. It seems publishers are encouraging authors to have a duke for the H rather than a lesser title, as 'apparently' these sell better. Hmm. I'm actually getting a little sick of all these fictional dukes. I mean, how many dukes can there be in fictional 18th-19th century England??? LOL.

Having said that, I've still got some ducal favs (as well as Justin Alastair from TOS). I was looking for a book to nominate from my tbr shelf so I could participate in a 'new' read, but nothing jumped out at me.

So. I'll nominate two old favs, that those who haven't read before might enjoy. Both Mary Baloghs.

My favourite duke, Wulfric. Slightly Dangerous Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) by Mary Balogh

Another fav duke, Luke. *swoons* Heartless Heartless (Georgian, #1) by Mary Balogh

I hope these haven't been group reads in the last 2 years. I tried to check, but found it tricky to identify. (I think I need more coffee to get my brain going this morning.....)

*goes to get a cup of strong coffee*

message 7: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments There are certainly plenty of options with this theme.

I nominate Splendid by Julia Quinn and One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4107 comments Mod
Mariana wrote: "There are certainly plenty of options with this theme.

I nominate Splendid by Julia Quinn and One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare."

I am using One Dance with a Duke for a TBR challenge, so that would be convenient if selected.

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments Yes, there are certainly plenty of books to nominate for this BOTM. I have 115 books in my "hero-duke" shelf to choose from! I've narrowed it down to four books, but I can only nominate two, so I'll nominate:

How to Marry a Duke (How To #1) by Vicky Dreiling How to Marry a Duke by Vicky Dreiling.

The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1) by Grace Burrowes The Trouble with Dukes by Grace Burrowes

message 10: by Dania (new)

Dania  Cross  | 5 comments I nominate Loving A Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see it in any of the read list but if I missed it by mistake sorry.

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments Dania, I believe it was the BOTM for Nov. 2016.

message 12: by Uvi (new)

Uvi I nominate Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught

message 13: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Jan130 wrote: "Oh yes Priya! These Old Shades is one of my fav HRs. I second that!

There are certainly plenty of books out there that fit this category. It seems publishers are encouraging authors to have a duke..."

I read somewhere that there are less than 20 Dukes in the realm and most of them are old and ineligible. That said, I love all our imaginary and eligible dukes more than the real old ones:)

I checked our bookshelf and both your nominations are eligible.

message 14: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Dania wrote: "I nominate Loving A Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see it in any of the read list but if I missed it by mistake sorry."

Missy is right. This was our BOTM for November, 2016. You can nominate another book in it's place.

message 15: by Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 (last edited May 07, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments Aiming for an author never read.
I nominate The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1) by Tracy Anne Warren The Husband Trap by Tracy Anne Warren

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Priya wrote: "I read somewhere that there are less than 20 Dukes in the realm and most of them are old and ineligible. That said, I love all our imaginary and eligible dukes more than the real old ones:)

I checked our bookshelf and both your nominations are eligible. "

Thanks for checking for me Priya.

Yep, less than 20 *actual* dukes. Ha ha. Yet they seem to breed like rabbits in our HRs. Thank goodness our fictional dukes are a lot hunkier than the 'old and ineligible' ones of real life.

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Is the poll coming soon for this one?

message 18: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments I think there are enough nominations.

message 19: by Priya (last edited May 22, 2018 03:38AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I am sorry. I had been enjoying my holidays so much that I forgot about the polls!
I am just back from a holiday. I will soon start the polls.

message 20: by Priya (last edited May 22, 2018 03:40AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mariana wrote: "I think there are enough nominations."

We have 15 Dukes (nominations)! Highest number of nominations, so far. More than the number of real Dukes:)

message 21: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments The polls are up. Vote for your favourite Duke.

Voting ends on 02nd June, 2018

message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Thanks Priya!

message 23: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Thanks Priya!"

I thank you and Mariana for reminding me about the polls. I am relieved that we are having the polls a month earlier and members would still have time to vote and acquire the book.

message 24: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Uvi wrote: "I nominate Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught"

This is my favorite of all time. I would be up for a re-read even if it doesn't make the nomination.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Heartless (Georgian, #1) by Mary Balogh

This was my vote, selfishly because it's the beginning of a series and I am enjoying me some Mary Balogh reads lately.

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Shannon wrote: "Heartless (Georgian, #1) by Mary Balogh

This was my vote, selfishly because it's the beginning of a series and I am enjoying me some Mary Balogh reads lately."

I voted for this one as well. It's an old fav of mine and I'd be up for a reread. Haven't read it in ages, so maybe it's time.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.