YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

A Little Wanting Song
This topic is about A Little Wanting Song
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley / Starts August 1st!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Martha | 695 comments CHARLIE DUSKIN loves music, and she knows she's good at it. But she only sings when she's alone, on the moonlit porch or in the back room at Old Gus's Secondhand Record and CD Store. Charlie's mom and grandmother have both died, and this summer she's visiting her grandpa in the country, surrounded by ghosts and grieving family, and serving burgers to the local kids at the milk bar. She's got her iPod, her guitar, and all her recording equipment, but she wants more: A friend. A dad who notices her. The chance to show Dave Robbie that she's not entirely unspectacular.

ROSE BUTLER lives next door to Charlie's grandfather and spends her days watching cars pass on the freeway and hanging out with her troublemaker boyfriend. She loves Luke but can't wait to leave their small country town. And she's figured out a way: she's won a scholarship to a science school in the city, and now she has to convince her parents to let her go. This is where Charlie comes in. Charlie, who lives in the city, and whom Rose has ignored for years. Charlie, who just might be Rose's ticket out.

Told in alternating voices and filled with music, friendship, and romance, Charlie and Rose's "little wanting song" is about the kind of longing that begins as a heavy ache but ultimately makes us feel hopeful and wonderfully alive.

Join Mei and I with reading this! :D

message 2: by Mei (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Yay! Thanks Martha!

Martha | 695 comments Really liking the start! :)

Tessa | 1951 comments Hey, I'm going to join you for this. I've been wanting to read it for a while :) .

21%
(view spoiler)

message 5: by Mei (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments 11% (view spoiler)

16% (view spoiler)

17% (view spoiler)

17% (view spoiler)

The prose in this is really beautiful and poignant.

message 6: by Mei (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Welcome, Tessa!

Martha | 695 comments Yey welcome Tessa!
And agree the prose really is beautiful! I'm especially enjoying Charlie's POV. I love all the music metaphors.
Is Charlie still friends with Dehlia? I'm a bit confused.

Tessa | 1951 comments 40% in (no spoilers tag because this doesn't need any)
I found various errors in the writing and mismatched words. It it something with my copy or is everyone facing this? @.@

Also, 2 chapters ended with the same phrases: "are you sad? better to be angry". The circumstances were a little different, but the words were pretty much the same. What was the use of Rose telling the same thing, to the same girl, twice?

I feel that some of the dialogue doesn't make sens at times. Like she's asking if he has a dog and he will say it's beautiful outside. What? Don't waste my time if you have nothing constructive in that dialogue! >.<

@Mei
(view spoiler)

"Is Charlie still friends with Dehlia? I'm a bit confused."

In a way, but Delia has been ignoring her ever since the incident.

Martha | 695 comments Huh? Weird! No I haven't found those problems with my copy, Tessa. I have the physical copy though.

message 10: by Mei (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments So far, I have not experienced any errors on my copy. But I do agree that some dialogues don't make sense. In fact, it's dragging sometimes.

message 11: by Mei (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments 86% Hmm..this is odd, because I don't really have anything to say at the moment. The writing is still beautiful but sometimes, it gets too much that I don't appreciate it as much as the author wanted to. The beginning pulled me in, sure, but after that it got slow that I'm losing interest sometimes.

I do love the song lyrics Charlie writes, though. Those are definitely catchinh to me. :)

Tessa | 1951 comments The errors I found (note that this is only from 40% to 80%)

1."He told me he liked Clash, so I burned him a few tracks. That's when Louise suggested I act a little less desperate."

For the meaning to be clear, it should have been: That's when Louise suggested I should act a little less desperate.

2."But you were always hiding up that tree" - Up in that tree.

3."Mum thought I had flu" - the flu

Maybe that's just the way Australians talk. I don't really know, but the sentences above and others sounded wrong to me.

@Mei, I feel the same way. I'm 80% in and not much has happened. Also, i feel vaguely disconnected to all the characters. Like, the author did make me know them, but I'm somehow not interested in their story or their drama :( .

Martha | 695 comments I'm at 63% but see what you're all saying. The start had me hooked but it feel like the plot is moving so slowly, if at all. I don't think I like Rose anymore, she's starting to become unlikable. :/ I'm waiting for something bigger to happen!

message 14: by Mei (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I finished reading it this afternoon and I rated it two stars. It wasn't special nor a memorable read to me. :( This is my first Cath Crowley book :/

Martha | 695 comments The end was soo boring!

message 16: by Mei (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I'm a bit confused by it, honestly. Did Rose and Luke got back together or did they just went okay with what happened, like a proper closure or something..

Martha | 695 comments I have no idea...

Tessa | 1951 comments Mei wrote: "I finished reading it this afternoon and I rated it two stars. It wasn't special nor a memorable read to me. :( This is my first Cath Crowley book :/"

Graffiti Moon was so much better. I also rated this one 2 stars. It was a boring read overall. A book set in summer that didn't feel that summery to me. It was also full of white people problems and wanted to makes us feel they were more important than they actually were.

What I did like was the fact that Charlie admitted her mistake with Dehlia.