What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book about young teen on struggling farm

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sondra (new)

Sondra | 2 comments I'm thinking of a book I read in about 2005 or 2006. It was about a boy, probably in his young teens. His family owns a farm which is struggling and in the process of being foreclosed on (or something like that...I was young so I didn't totally get the financial stuff). He has a brother, a religious mother, and a father (I think it may have been hinted that his father drinks a lot). It takes place in a rural town and there are descriptions of small town life, his duties on the farm, and going to church. Kind of a general coming of age story. There is another character, a mentally challenged neighbor, who also figures prominently into the plot.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40602 comments Mod
When is it set?
Set in the U.S.?

message 3: by Sondra (new)

Sondra | 2 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "When is it set?
Set in the U.S.?"

Yes, in the US. I always thought it was in the South (they describe a Baptist church service and talk about how hot it is). Not sure when it's supposed to be set - could probably be any time from like...the 50s or 60s to the present day, or at least "present day" when it was written. I think they mentioned TVs but not computers or cell phones.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Still looking, Sondra?