Paper & Glam Book Club discussion

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories
Glam Archives | 2018 > May 2018: Alice In Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
It's time for a quarterly classic, sisters! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Alice!

Sabrina (sabrinajeanjackson) | 2 comments This is my first month part of the Book Club and I’m super excited to join and read Alice in Wonderland. I haven’t started yet but my plan is to start this weekend as soon as I finish the book I’m reading now.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments yay!!!!! i have this one already ao im all set to start!

message 4: by Love, J (new)

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments Welcome Sabrina!

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakaye) If I make it through Alice I think I can read anything! Not my favorite

message 6: by Leane (new)

Leane Paula wrote: "If I make it through Alice I think I can read anything! Not my favorite"

I agree with you, Paula.
I didn't like this story as a child and I couldn't stand it now!

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Coyne | 1 comments Just joining! I have to finish what I’m currently reading and then on to this one

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith Felice | 7 comments Alright, I never read this as a child so I am looking forward to reading it as an adult with a different perspective than if I had if I were 10.

message 9: by Love, J (new)

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments I’ve never read it either. I’m excited to see how it goes. Everyone keeps telling me “Do not think about the movie or I’ll be disappointed.”

message 10: by Love, J (new)

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments Welcome Megan!

message 11: by Mrs.Jones (new)

Mrs.Jones | 2 comments So I finished reading Alice in Wonderland. I must say I was not impressed. Please don't hate me. The flamingo scene had me giggling. I can not wait for the Paper and Glam book club meet up. I know I will learn why people believe this is a classic.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela Barbee (candybearbooks) | 9 comments Mrs. Jones, unfortunately you arent the only one that didnt care for it! You either love it or you hate it. Ha

Sabrina (sabrinajeanjackson) | 2 comments Mrs Jones, I’m with you! I did hate it, but it wasn’t my favorite.

message 14: by christine (new)

christine | 3 comments I agree with all of you---I am forcing myself to get through this book! I do not understand why all children's "classic" books are so dark and weird! And the style of writing and verbiage used---did children even understand this story when it was first published? Do children today enjoy this story? I just don't get the fascination with this book!

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ballard (captainswife) | 4 comments Oh my gosh, I REALLY wanted to like this book. I couldn’t stand it. It was so bizarre.

Sarah Piper (hope5980) | 22 comments This is a reread for me ... but I think I enjoy it because it’s so insane. I think it’s important to remember these are dreams that Alice is having. My dreams are crazy all over the place (with random elements and people from my real life). I think that’s what makes this such an enjoyable children’s book ... to remind them and us that it’s okay to dream and dream in craziness. And when parts of those dreams come into your real life, that’s okay too and you should embrace it like Alice does and not be embarrassed by it.

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
Hello Paper & Glam Readers!

I had so much fun with you last night chatting all things Alice.

If you missed the live chat, you can watch the replay here ---> https://youtu.be/tmxrMvYymKE

If you're still spending time with Lewis Carrol, here's our discussion questions from last night:

Ice Breaker - Who are your favorite Bookstagrammers?

1. What was your experience reading Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass? Star rating?

2. What passages or scenes struck you as particularly whimsical or iconic?

3. Growing up and down is the theme that runs throughout the course of the book with Alice changing size twelve times. How does this theme mirror the experience of moving from childhood to adolescence and then into adulthood?

4. What other themes caught your attention throughout the book?

5. Wordplay is a prominent theme and literary device in the book. Do you have a favorite quote?

6. Why do you think Alice In Wonderland has held such an iconic place in popular culture? There were nine film versions of Alice in Wonderland before the 1951 Disney version and the 2010 version grossed over 1 billion dollars.