What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Science fiction about murder of a rich immortal human. Detective is called in to their elite compound.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments I remember starting to read a book some years ago about a society in which a group of immortal, rich humans live apart from general society. One of them is murdered and a detective is called in to investigate. Does this ring any bells?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Did you read it about 5 years ago? 10 years? 30 years?
Author female or male?
Remember the cover?

message 3: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments Definitely more than 10. Probably closer to 30. Pretty sure it was a male author. The immortal humans were called something like "ubermen", I think. (It wasn't The Overman Culture)

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 226 comments Maybe Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments YA or adult? Was it science fiction in nature, or more like just a crime novel that happened to be set in the future? Do you recall how/where they lived apart (underground, up in the sky, in a walled city, in a spaceship)?

message 6: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments Joseph - not Altered Carbon. It predates that. It starts off with a detective being called to the elite compound where the immortal humans live. His superior explains to him that it's important he is sensitive because these people are unused to death and they consider the murder one of their own the greatest crime because it robs someone of more years than killing a mere mortal.

message 7: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments Michele - they lived in an area separate from the mortal humans. the only exposure they had to mortal humans were their servants.

message 8: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
In The Eyes of Heisenberg, the immortal humans are called "optimen," so maybe?

message 9: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments The blurb doesn't look right but some of the concepts do. Looks like an interesting book anyway. Thanks.

message 10: by Kris (last edited May 21, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The Eyes of Heisenberg by Frank Herbert - Andria's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=ZcY...

What's the time period and location - realistic Earth, country/region? Where is the detective from?

I added some plot details to the topic header. Feel free to edit it on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 11: by David (new)

David (davidofterra) | 59 comments bump

message 12: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 169 comments While not a book the movie In Time had a line very much like that I think?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637688/...

message 13: by Brad (new)

Brad Eichstadt | 133 comments Possibly Elegy for Angels and Dogs/the Graveyard Heart by Walter Jon Williams and Zelazny Roger?

The version I read was from 1990 which is the 30 years ago you mentioned. It has a group of immortals isolated from the rest of humanity (the Party Set) and there is a murder.

More details:

"Zelazny's novelette The Graveyard Heart first appeared in 1964 and was one of the first stylistic stories in what would become known as The New Wave in the following few years. It's a good story about time-travel via cryonics, but not quite in the same league as his A Rose For Ecclesiastes or The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth. It is paired here in this book from 1990 with a sequel written by Walter Jon Williams, Elegy For Angels and Dogs, which is twice as long as Zelazny's original. The Williams story throws some murder mystery in order to sustain the plot and wanders into a mountain climbing adventure "

message 14: by Lorenz (new)

Lorenz | 2 comments What about Asimov's "The Robots of Dawn" or "The naked Sun"?
It's not a perfect fit to your description but also not too far off.

message 15: by STU (new)

STU | 58 comments I was also thinking maybe Asimov's "Caves of Steel".
Been a long time since I read it though.