Rams Adolescent LIterature Spring 2018 discussion

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
Told through the eyes of a 9 year old German girl. The story takes place during WW II. Hope you enjoy.

message 2: by Gely (new)

Gely Ortiz | 17 comments This book is about a nine-year-old girl who loses her brother and is separated from her mother. She is sent to live with Hans and Rosa Huberman. She is learning to adapt to her surroundings but is deep down wanting to escape. She is made fun off because she does not know how to read, and her new dad Hans takes it upon himself to help he construct meaning to words. Liesels becomes good friends with Rudy their neighbor and he accompanies her to deliver the washings/ laundry Rosa does for the wealthy inhabitants from the area. After the book burn ceremony a boy named Max comes to take refuge in their home, but Liesel is not to say anything about him living there given the fact that he is a Jew. A Jew son of a man Hans feels he is in debt with. As he grows sick and time passes Liesel's reads to him she goes back to one of the homes her mom Rosa would do laundry for and sneakily takes books to read to him. Max eventually gets better but must leave the home for fear of getting the family in trouble. Hans is then taken to be part of the army but makes it back home. The street that once was a soccer field for Liesel and Rudy is the laying monument off many of them whom die a night no sirens went off, but many bombs did.

message 3: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney Danielle | 15 comments Every year, I read a short, play version of this book with my 7th graders to help teach the elements of drama so I was excited that this book was on the list. Liesel is everything I would want to be if I lived during that period as an avid reader. This book is a great example of why I love historical fiction SO much.