Rams Adolescent LIterature Spring 2018 discussion

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
Yes, this is a true story. I love this book! I reread it at least once every year. I am amazed at Walls' ability to tell her story and still show love and respect for her parents. I hope you enjoy.

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 14 comments I feel so bad that these kids had such a hard childhood that I want so bad for it not to be a true story. I think the fact that Jeannette is still able to show love is just amazing after what her parents put them through as children. There aren't many people who would be able to do that. Maybe Jeannette writing the book was cathartic for her and helped with what she went though.

message 3: by Gely (new)

Gely Ortiz | 17 comments MY FAVE !!!!
This is the true story of the author Jeannett walls how the American Dream is in fact reachable. Jeannett walls had to construct her own future. She and her siblings never ready had a stable home they struggled with maintaining food on the table Jannett and her siblings where the ones who took care of their parents. Jeannette dad was an alcoholic but when he was sober he would take the time to teach and embrace his children with creativity. Mom was not wanting to embrace her role as a mother so it was up to Jannett and her siblings to take care of each other as well as their parents. Jeannet and her siblings had to get creative. They lost a lot of resources so they had to be very resourceful. Jannett learns many life skills early on in life that built her way up to a successful career in New York after so much struggle.

message 4: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney Danielle | 15 comments Jeannette's strength and character really shone through in this unbelievable novel. I couldn't fathom being forced to live like this. I would have been so angry with my parents for so many reasons but somehow she loved them all the same, as if she were living a normal life. Such a crazy lifestyle grew her into an incredible woman and author which is admirable.