Rams Adolescent LIterature Spring 2018 discussion

Speak by Laurie Hales Anderson

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 17 comments Mod
A high story about learning to be brave enough to stand up for yourself.

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Morales | 14 comments This book is such a powerful book about coming forward. Melinda found a way to express her pain through another medium. I think this is a great read for anyone going through something like what Melinda went through.

message 3: by Gely (new)

Gely Ortiz | 17 comments This book is about Melinda a young girl who is in high school but before her school year even starts she has already been outcaste. Melinda was at a summer party and such party rated because she called the cops. What no one knows is that she called the cops because she was raped by one of the upper classmen at this high school. Melinda instead of speaking out is hiding in her silent and suffering through this alone. The only place Melinda feels at ease and is getting what happened to her out not necessary in words but in pictures. Melinda is speaking through her art and when she is faced with the same guy that raped the second time she fights back and shows the reader the importance of speaking out when such thigs happen.

message 4: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney Danielle | 15 comments I read this book for the first time a long time ago yet I had difficulty getting through it again as an adult. Books like this are so important to girls like the main character who know what the right thing to do is but just can't bear to say anything.

message 5: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Peaks | 12 comments I really liked this book. I loved how Melinda took the time to stand up for herself. This is something that a lot of kids struggle with today and this would be a great book for a book study