What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Horror Children's Book - Two dirty kids live alone until someone moves into their home, they get upset about it and try to scare her away but something's wrong. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elias (new)

Elias Mizener | 1 comments SPOILERS AHEAD:

The two dirty kids are brother and sister, around 10 years old. They've been living alone until a new family moved into their house.
They try to scare her (the new kid) away and she does get scared, but the sister realizes it's because she hasn't bathed in years. She takes a bath in the river and brushes out her really, really long hair. She realizes her skin is white and so is her hair. She's all clean and her brother is upset with her for bathing(?) because he thinks it's weird & wrong (theyve both been covered in dirt for years). She talks to the new girl again and they both realize that her and her brother are dead/have been dead for years. The new girl finds their bodies buried inside the wall of the house she moved into. They move on to the afterlife after the crime is solved and they are put to rest.

This might have been a short story in a horror book filled with different stories, but i dont know honestly

(In that case, another one of the stories might've been about a dead girl that lived in a river and she talked to some other girl that liked to visit the water? i mainly remember the story above)

I read it in 2007 (in sixth grade) and it seemed new, but not brand new.

The cover was dark, the type of eerie catch your eye cover

I think about it from time to time and I'd love to know what book it was
thanks for reading!

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments It's probably the The Old Willis Place like Cupcakedoll suggested, but All on a Winter's Day is another with the same theme.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36601 comments Mod
Here are the Google Books preview of The Old Willis Place by Mary Downing Hahn - Cupcakedoll & Rainbowheart's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=5FJ... There are different cover images.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Still out there, Elias?