Play Book Tag discussion

Come Sundown
This topic is about Come Sundown
May 2018: Family Drama > Come Sundown by Nora Roberts 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments Come Sundown by Nora Roberts
4 stars

Nora Roberts helped me find reading again. I can always trust that her book will keep me entertained and have a happy ending. I stopped reading for 3 years, during the end of my dad's life and after he passed away. I was scared to read anything that made me feel because I was so scared I would tap into the pain that I feel when I think about my dad not being around. Starting at the beginning of last year I read 17 Roberts books in a row and it snapped me out of whatever reading funk I was in and I was finally able to enjoy books again and not be afraid.

Every so often when the stresses of the world feel to heavy, I love to slip back into a Roberts book because I know everything will work out in the end. This book was no exception. It is about a family that runs a ranch and resort in Montana. It follows various members of the family through drama, suspense and a climatic ending. It captured me from the first couple of paragraphs and it wasn't as predictable as her books can sometimes be. It was also more of a mystery and less heavy on the romance as her books can be.

I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Yay! Another NR fan! She is my favorite author and I love reading all of her new books. I have read everything except for her very old stuff at Harlequin, though I don't think I could do 17 in a row!

I am also slowing making my way through her In Death series, and will probably get to another installment at some point this year.

Do you have a favorite book by her?

Charlotte | 1663 comments Nicole R wrote: "Yay! Another NR fan! She is my favorite author and I love reading all of her new books. I have read everything except for her very old stuff at Harlequin, though I don't think I could do 17 in a ro..."

I wouldn't normally read 17 in a row of any author but she definitely helped snap me out of my funk. She's my go to favorite author whenever I start feeling sad again. Normally I like to sprinkle a few of her books throughout my TBR.

I will have to say this one, Come Sundown, might be my new NR all time favorite. I really, really liked it. I also really like when she does a series and you can read about our the previous main character is doing as a side character in a later book. Chasing Fire might be another top one for me. What are your favorites?

I've gotten through the first 4 In Death and then got stuck, I finally picked up the 5th at a local used book store and it's been sitting on my TBR shelf for a couple months...

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Yay! Another NR fan! She is my favorite author and I love reading all of her new books. I have read everything except for her very old stuff at Harlequin, though I don't think I co..."

My favorite is Midnight Bayou. I think I have read it 4 or 5 times probably. And, I do not typically reread Nora except for some of her stuff from over a decade ago when I am really in a rut. I also loved the super cheesy Lifetime movie remake of it!

I also absolutely adored her Bride Quartet and the Inn Boonsboro Trilogy. I read all of her magick trilogies, but I like the nonmagick ones best. And old throwback favorite was the Chesapeake Bay trilogy.

I only read one or two of the In Death books a year. I am definitely not blazing through them or anything! lol

She is also my go-to author when I am in a funk. She works every time!

Have you read anything by Sandra Brown? She is another one of my go-to authors, though I would say she is a bit heavier on the suspense part of romantic suspenses.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Nicole R wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Yay! Another NR fan! She is my favorite author and I love reading all of her new books. I have read everything except for her very old stuff at Harlequin, though ..."

I haven't read Midnight Bayou yet, I've added it to my TBR and I'll see if I can get it from the library or used book store. I 100% agree on both the Bride Quartet and Chesapeake Bay trilogy. I haven't read Inn Boonsboro Trilogy but it's on my sooner rather than later list. I have the Liar and The Cousin's O'Dwyer Trilogy sitting on my shelves.

I've read a few of her beginning ones and enjoyed them. My favorite so far was the Irish Hearts trilogy which includes her first book, Irish Thoroughbred.

I've read some Sandra Brown but not many... I think she's similar to Iris Johansen which was one of my go to authors before I found NR.

After my 3-4 year sabbatical from reading, I feel like I'm so behind on all of my favorite authors and good books in general.

ShazM | 389 comments Another NR fan here! My absolute favourite is The Witness but I also really liked more recent ones like The Obsession, The Liar and Come Sundown. I have read a few of the In Death books but I don't enjoy them as much as the regular romantic suspense ones. I'm another who prefers the non-magical ones although I did like the three sisters trilogy and the ones with the keys. I almost didn't bother with The Inn Boonsboro trilogy because I read a review saying that they read like a tourist information brochure but I'm so pleased I did! The people are so wonderful they gave me a really comfortable feeling, real escapism!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "I've read some Sandra Brown but not many... I think she's similar to Iris Johansen which was one of my go to authors before I found NR. "

I used to read Iris Johnasen as well, but I really have moved away from so many series. That is one of the things I like about Sandra Brown, each of her books is a standalone. I am not good at just picking up random books from a series or at abandoning series.

Sandra Brown went through a bit of a slump, in my opinion, not too long ago but her most recent 4-5 books are really good!

Charlotte | 1663 comments Sharon wrote: "Another NR fan here! My absolute favourite is The Witness but I also really liked more recent ones like The Obsession, The Liar and Come Sundown. I have read a few of the In Death books but I don't..."

I enjoyed the three sisters and the keys as well, I think the keys might have been the first NR books that I read. I'm glad to hear you like The Liar, hopefully I'll get to that sometime this year. I'll look into The Obsession.

message 9: by Nicole R (last edited May 04, 2018 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Sharon wrote: "Another NR fan here! My absolute favourite is The Witness but I also really liked more recent ones like The Obsession, The Liar and Come Sundown. I have read a few of the In Death books but I don't..."

The Obsession and The Liar were really good! I am still not completely sold on Nora's newest books since she went to her new publisher—Come Sundown and Shelter in Place (comes out soon, but I got an ARC). I do not tolerate reading about sexual abuse very well, so Come Sundown was really hard for me. Shelter in Place is about a mass shooting, and that hits just a little too close to home right now.

I also loved the Inn Boonsboro books, but I have stayed in the Inn a couple of times since reading them so I would like to reread those at some point!

I do still read all of the magick books, they just aren't my favorite. Having said that, of her magick ones, I think Three Sisters Island is my favorite!

For a nonmagickal trilogy, have you read the In The Garden Trilogy? (Starts with Black Rose). I really liked that one too. Oh, and it has been a while, but I remember liking the Born In Trilogy as well (starts with Born in Fire).

I think I am just further underscoring my point that I really like all of her books! lol

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "I enjoyed the three sisters and the keys as well, I think the keys might have been the first NR books that I read.."

Ah, first Nora reads. My first Nora book was The Reefat the too-young age of 15. lol. I remember seeing it on my mom's book shelf and was super obsessed with wanting to be a marine biologist (which I am today!) and wanted to read it for the Caribbean/treasure hunt aspect. Got a little more than a bargained for but no turning back! lol

message 11: by annapi (last edited May 04, 2018 09:50AM) (new)

annapi | 5155 comments My favorite old Nora reads are still the Donovan family series, especially Charmed - probably because her protagonist's name is Ana there. :)

But my absolute favorite is her Eve Dallas series under the name J.D. Robb - Rourke is my sexiest man in literature.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I do agree on Roarke! Man, I really need to get to another installment.

I have read s couple Donovan’s and a couple MacGregor’s as well. Not nearly all of them though! I’ll save those for a rainy day 😉

message 13: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments Another Roarke fan girl here (squeee!) I’m 5 or 6 through the In Death series - I could devour them for breakfast but then they tend to run into each other, which seems a waste. Haven’t read many other Noras yet but my mother has a few on the shelves that I can nick :) This one sounds really interesting.

ShazM | 389 comments I have read the Garden trilogy and the Born In trilogy and love them all. I have only started reading NR in the last couple of years so I don't really know in what order they appeared but the Key trilogy were my first too. I like a lot of the standalone books too although I wasn't overly taken with The Reef. High Noon, Blue Smoke and Chasing Fire are all good too. Not forgetting the wedding planner trilogy! I guess I could go on and on!

Charlotte | 1663 comments It's so easy to go on and on :) There are so many good ones! I've read The Reef according to goodreads, but I don't remember it at all...