Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Top Three Books about Books (or Cool Libraries!)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is kind of an obscure one, but what are some cool books about books that you've read?

Side note: have you ever had that "Belle walking into the colossal library" moment while reading? Meaning, has any fictional library knocked your socks off?

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
1. The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen - it is a book about a book. :)

2. The Library at Mount Char - One of the most original dark urban fantasy books I've read.

3. NOS4A2 - One of the main characters is a librarian and a few key scenes happen in a library.

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Don't know if I can think of three off the top of my head, but a book had a very large role in Among Thieves and that was fun. :)

message 4: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Yanique Gillana | 1016 comments Mod
This is a hard on Niki Let's see....

1. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - It's about his biography.

2. Misery by Stephen King - Books, authors, and crazy obsessed fan-girls!

3. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - He's writing a book about his adventure in this one.

message 5: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited May 03, 2018 06:55PM) (new)

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Lirael by Garth Nix - The titular character is an assistant librarian.

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey - really the whole of Phedre’s trilogy. Phedre spends a lot of time in various libraries searching for knowledge.

Breath and Bone by Carol Berg - MC ends up at an abbey where the monks copy books to preserve knowledge.

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Oathbringer ;-)"

I hadn't thought of those but they definitely are good ones.

message 8: by Miche (last edited May 04, 2018 03:44AM) (new)

Miche | 3178 comments Scott wrote: "1. The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen - it is a book about a book. :)"

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Oathbringer ;-)"

I agree with Scott about Malazan Book of the Fallen and with Diana for the Stormlight Archive ones.

message 9: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments @Diana the Stormblessed, this is no suprise:)

@Scott The ending of the The Library at Mount Char though.. (I liked the book but I was very puzzled at the end)

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Beste wrote: "@Diana the Stormblessed, this is no suprise:)

@Scott The ending of the The Library at Mount Char though.. (I liked the book but I was very puzzled at the end)"

I liked the ending. Hopefully he comes out with something different.

message 11: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Scott wrote: "Beste wrote: "@Diana the Stormblessed, this is no suprise:)

@Scott The ending of the The Library at Mount Char though.. (I liked the book but I was very puzzled at the end)"

I li..."

I might re-read it sometime to catch more details. I remember asking Why? why? how? all the time. Now since I know Carolyn's reasons and intentions I might see the story differently.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1770 comments Since the good ones that come to mind have already been mentioned, I'll add these to the list. They're worth a glance, at least.

The Forbidden Library by Django Wexler was fun.

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. I actually didn't rate it highly, but I remember that the writing was pretty good.

Among Others by Jo Walton. Didn't live up to the hype, but was still decent.

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 209 comments 1. The Shadow of the Wind - It's about the titular book and about a boy who is trying to find out more about it.

2. The Never-ending Story - About a boy whose imagination is critical for the survival of a fantastical land

3. Fahrenheit 451 - Needs no intro

message 14: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4381 comments Weirdly enough, most of the books I've read about books are books I've hated. No one has mentioned this one yet, The Historian. I did not like it at all, but maybe you will like it better than I did.

message 15: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

lol that's my issue. I really, really didn't like inkheart.

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm impressed at how many you all have been able to come up with.

message 17: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco had me going crazy about its library.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Beste wrote: "I might re-read it sometime to catch more details. I remember asking Why? why? how? all the time. Now since I know Carolyn's reasons and intentions I might see the story differently. "

I feel that way about the beginning. The first 10-20% I kept thinking this is keeping me interested because it's so bizarre but where the F are we going with this? I think I'd like that better on re-read.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Silvana wrote: "The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco had me going crazy about its library."

I've wanted to read this for a while so with your endorsement I put a hold on the ebook from my library.

message 20: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I loved Lirael as Bill mentioned. The dog and cat are really the stars of that series