✨ Adults Who Read YA ✨ discussion

✩☽August '18 ✩☽ Free Read Discussion Month ✩☽

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
What are you reading this summer? Let's talk!

message 2: by Christina (new)

What's everyone reading?

Right now, I'm working on The Darkest Minds for a book club. We're seeing the movie this Friday, so I have about 4 days to finish. I'm toggling between the physical book (that I was lucky enough to snag a signed copy of when I was on vacation in AZ back in the Spring) when I'm home and an ebook copy on Overdrive when I'm at work. On audio, I am giving And I Darken another chance. Much better on audio.

Then I'm feeling drawn to contemporary and sea stories. I really want to read What If It's Us (which I snagged at an SLJ event in May) or Sea Witch because Ursula.

I'm also starting to chip into Boston Teen Author picks, because that's in September, including the follow ARCs I have: A Room Away from the Wolves , For a Muse of Fire , Forest of a Thousand Lanterns , and Darius the Great Is Not Okay . I plan to buy Brightly Burning , Forest of a Thousand Lanterns 's sequel, and Contagion . I plan to bring several books that I own Owlcrate editions of to get signed as well. This event has become so dear to me and I really enjoy going.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Update! I'm trying to read a bunch of things before Boston Teen Author Fest at the end of September. I DNFd Forest of a Thousand Lanterns which was too bad because I was all for a villain origin story, but the audio narrator wasn't doing it for me and it felt high fantasy. I'm currently reading Sea Witch (which has a wonderful sense of atmosphere) and it made me want to keep reading villain retellings for a little while. (Guess I'll have to wait for Vengeful ^_^ )

Since Forest didn't work out, I just started listening to Down and Across and loving the story and narrator so far (it's short, I can do this! lol)

On deck for audio are Furyborn and Everless , but I also want to get back to the And I Darken series. (I liked it A LOT better when listening to it.)

For reading, I'm in the mood for Realistic Fiction, but also have a lot of V.E. Shcwab coming up. I also have a LitJoy and Owlcrate arriving shortly... Ha!

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (readinthecorner) | 108 comments Christina wrote: "Update! I'm trying to read a bunch of things before Boston Teen Author Fest at the end of September. I DNFd Forest of a Thousand Lanterns which was too bad because I was all for a v..."

Seems like you're making good progress for BTAF! I've only officially finished three with one I recently DNF (sorry, Sky in the Deep).

It looks like this month is the month for series reads for me!

I've finished and loved White's Bright We Burn (thank you, Christina!) and Grant's Monster. Both are the latest in series that I absolutely love and I devoured them, one after the other. This concludes White's series (*tears of sadness and joy at the end*) but Grant's series still has at least two more to go (this was book 7!).

Next on the agenda is a spooky (possibly too spooky) JFic, Spell & Spindle. A lot of reviews said it was outright creepy, so we'll see if I can make it through.

message 5: by Christina (last edited Aug 20, 2018 04:06PM) (new)

Melissa wrote: "Christina wrote: "Update! I'm trying to read a bunch of things before Boston Teen Author Fest at the end of September. I DNFd Forest of a Thousand Lanterns which was too bad because..."

You DNFd Sky in the Deep? Aw :/ What three BTAFs did you finish so far?

You're welcome on Bright We Burn Melissa! I'm continuing the series soon, as I keep hearing good things about it (you're fond of it, Kat's fond of it, and so is Jesse the Reader. Oh and Shawn too!)

7 books is a lot of books for a series... I'd have to really love it. I find myself intimidated by series of 3 lol. I think that's why I bailed of of Cassie Clare's books again. The only author I'd do it for at the moment is V.E. Schwab. Love her.

I kind of want to find a spooky graphic novel and I think My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, Vol. 1 will be that pick. I just found it randomly and really like the pen-quality drawings. I have no idea what it's about and it's sort of refreshing to go into a book blind.

Oh! And my Litjoy for August will be Catwoman: Soulstealer , which I can't wait to get into! I'm saving this month's Owlcrate for November when I crave fantasy. Right now I want realistic fiction and Halloween-ish things, which is an interesting combo.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (readinthecorner) | 108 comments Christina wrote: "You DNFd Sky in the Deep? Aw :/ What three BTAFs did you finish so far? "

I had heard such great things about Sky in the Deep that I think I hyped it up too much in my mind. I decided that while I loved the writing style, the plot felt too overdone for me. :-(

BUT, in terms of BTAF books I've read, so far it's:

American Panda by Gloria Chao
Cute as a button!

The Belles (The Belles #1) by Dhonielle Clayton
I think we discussed that it was a cool idea with room for improvement in execution.

Bright We Burn (The Conqueror's Saga, #3) by Kiersten White
*hugs book close*

message 7: by Christina (new)

Melissa wrote: "Christina wrote: "You DNFd Sky in the Deep? Aw :/ What three BTAFs did you finish so far? "

I had heard such great things about Sky in the Deep that I think I hyped it up too much in my mind. I de..."

We did in fact have things to say about The Belles, for me one that was overhyped and definitely had room for improvement.

I'm glad you love Bright We Burn so much! lol

You'd like Down and Across by Arvin Ahmadi by the way- LGBT+ rep, diversity rep, etc.

message 8: by Christina (new)

I'm so ready for spooky reads! I'm currently reading The Truth Lies Here by Lindsey Klingele and it's a little slow, but it's kinda like Stranger Things meets XFiles meets Buzzfeed Unsolved. I'm also listening to Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel by A.W. Jantha - which is pretty good so far. I also read good things about Sadie by Courtney Summers on audio, so very much interested in that, but first I have to go back and finished Pet Sematary by Stephen King narrated by the wonderful Michael C Hall.

What's on everyone else's Halloween TBR?