✨ Adults Who Read YA ✨ discussion

✩☽ July '18 ✩☽ My Plain Jane

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
My Plain Jane - Cynthia Hand, et. al.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Pumped for this one - I can't wait for my preorder to arrive!

message 3: by Christina (new)

Ashley wrote: "Pumped for this one - I can't wait for my preorder to arrive!"

I'm really excited for this too! I highly suspect this is the Litjoy Crate for June, which is why I did a one time gift subscription ^_^

message 4: by Christina (new)

I was really hoping to get this in June as the Litjoy crate, but so far those boxes still haven't sent >..<

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) oh no!!!!! My preorder went out yesterday - perhaps because of the release date it was delayed??

message 6: by Christina (new)

Where did you pre-order from? It did just release 6/26, so maybe it's coming to you soon? My copy from Litjoy was delayed 2 weeks, it just arrived yesterday.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I got it on the 26th - did preorder from amazon! I havent started yet but it's getting done this month sometime

message 8: by Christina (new)

Oh good! Yes, this is in my top 5 most anticipated books of this year. I was going to say most, but then I remembered V.E. Schwab has 3 books this year :D 1 middle grade, 1 adult, and a comic book.

message 9: by Christina (new)

I'm loving this!

message 10: by Christina (new)

Update: I loved this.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Lol !!!! I thought it was cute I preferred book 1 cuz Gifford but alas

message 12: by Christina (new)

Fair! Did you catch the Gifford cameo?

I really liked the cast in MPJ (as well as MLJ), and the ghosts had me sold lol. Alexander was also hilarious.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Yeah I loved the ghosts I have a thing for ghost books, Kristen Ashley has a series that I enjoyed (my first ghost romance book) and now I'm obsessed with Roseanne Beck and her books, literally LITERALLY obsessed

message 14: by Christina (new)

Okay, so questioned for this one:

1) What did you think of the changes between MPJ and Jane Eyre?
2) What did you think of MPJ compared to MLJ?
3) Favourite character? Least fave character?
4) What did you think of Alexander? Any guesses on who he becomes in history?
5) Any new bookboyfriend material?
6) MLJ uses historical figures that are well known to some but niche to others, whereas MPJ uses characters who are a little more known but also sort of niche...What did you think of the use of Charlotte Bronte and her brother Bram in the story?
7) Any predictions for narrators in My Calamity Jane?

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I keep forgetting to answer these I shall do it tomorrow

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) 1) What did you think of the changes between MPJ and Jane Eyre? - changes from original? cuz i havent read it
2) What did you think of MPJ compared to MLJ? I preferred book 1 but I had a love for all things Gifford
3) Favourite character? Least fave character? the ghost friend - it's been a while since I read it now I can't remember her name - she was funny
4) What did you think of Alexander? Any guesses on who he becomes in history?
5) Any new bookboyfriend material? nono
6) MLJ uses historical figures that are well known to some but niche to others, whereas MPJ uses characters who are a little more known but also sort of niche...What did you think of the use of Charlotte Bronte and her brother Bram in the story? i liked it - granted I have no idea who anyone is IRL or if they're real people - I know charlotte is not sure about bram
7) Any predictions for narrators in My Calamity Jane? nope - but I can't wait for it

message 17: by Christina (new)

Ashley wrote: "I keep forgetting to answer these I shall do it tomorrow"

haha, that's okay!

From MPJ, Bram Bronte was a real person. He was actually Charlotte's brother. They also had several sister, though not all of them survived sickness, the ones at the school were real too.

I was trying to figure out who Alexander was, because his real last name was revealed at the end but I was like "No, that's can't be him!" So I was wondering if anyone else had any takes on it.

The changes from Jane Eyre, to me, were better. I didn't approve of the Rochester/Jane relationship in Jane Eyre...but I also didn't care for such age gaps in Victorian books (those between teenagers and 3x their age adults, to be specific).

I can't wait for Calamity Jane either! I will like Wild Bill Hickok might be a character...

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I've never read the original - i think I was supposed to for a womans fiction class but just never did, cuz Im that good of a student

I havent looked up the synopsis or anything I don't even know who it's about - I think I'm going to go into it blind, just preorder and wait lol

Wildcard is coming soon and I'm SO EXCITED I can barely stand it

message 19: by Christina (new)

Ashley wrote: "I've never read the original - i think I was supposed to for a womans fiction class but just never did, cuz Im that good of a student

I havent looked up the synopsis or anything I don't even know..."

hahaha, that's kinda funny though!

Also, I am also planning to go into Calamity blind.

I couldn't really stay into Warcross, but I'm glad you're looking forward to it's sequel!