Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

General SF&F Chat > SF/F Anime

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Yesterday I discovered by watching "Appleseed: Alpha" that Shinji Aramaki can make a really dull movie from Appleseed. (Really disappointing after Ex Machina.)

Today, Amazon tossed up " Ghost in the Shell: Arise " on my recommendations, which I guess is a prequel OVA. Anyone know if it's any good? I see it's from Production I.G, but I'm not familiar with Kazuchika Kise's work (I love the Oshii movies and like the Kenji Kamiyama SAC TV series, but that's ancient history by now.)

message 2: by Bittman (last edited Jul 28, 2014 05:35PM) (new)

Bittman  (bittman) | 22 comments I get the impression from everything I heard it is somewhat of a reboot, or maybe more like a standalone series, unrelated to any of the films or previous tv series.

Apparently it is as reimagining, according to the Wikipedia page.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Richard wrote: "I get the impression from everything I heard it is somewhat of a reboot, or maybe more like a standalone series, unrelated to any of the films or previous tv series...."

Thanks. The ANN Encyclopedia entry describes it as alternate timeline "how Kusanagi met Aramaki" story (though since that's never been told before, not sure why it's an alternate timeline.)

The ANN rating look good, but then ANN users seem to like everything.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 152 comments I've watched the first episode of the series (not sure how many it will be). I thought it was quite enjoyable. Certainly, if you liked the GITS TV series I think you would like the OVA.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 02, 2014 04:24AM) (new)

Michael wrote: "I've watched the first episode of the series (not sure how many it will be). I thought it was quite enjoyable. Certainly, if you liked the GITS TV series I think you would like the OVA."

Thanks for reminding me of this. I decided earlier the price/hr was a little extravagant to buy the DVD (even by anime standards), but noticed today it has appeared on Netflix, so something to watch later.

message 6: by Bittman (new)

Bittman  (bittman) | 22 comments On Netflix you say? Well that is good news.

I do believe it is going to be four episodes.

message 7: by Leo (new)

Leo (rahiensorei) | 78 comments Netflix has had a lot of good acquisitions in their Anime section lately (Shingeki no Kyojin cough cough), but I really couldn't stand their original series Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia). 3D rendering just isn't there yet with people - uncanny valley is absurdly apparent there.