World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > Favorite Books as Kids vs Adults

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tree (new)

Tree District (treedistbooks) | 4 comments What was your favorite book as a child and what is your favorite book today? Did your tastes change or are there similarities still?

message 2: by Kat (last edited May 03, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Kat My favourites as a primary school kid were a lot of stories centred around Northern German Islands and Coastal regions, mostly written by James Krüss. I still love those, and have bought the books again as an adult.

Astrid Lindgren also featured heavily (Pippi Longstockings, anyone?), as well as German author Erich Kästner.

I remember that I read The Secret Garden in primary school after the librarian ran out of age-appropriate books to give me, and it stayed with me for a very long time. I believe it even played a little role in my becoming a horticulturist as an adult - the novelty of giving a garden a new lease of life never faded.

I also had a thick book called simply "Marco Polo's Adventures", which my father bought for me on a visit to the GDR in the mid-80s. It was printed on cheap yellow paper and re-told Marco Polo's travels for children. It pre-dates ISBNs and I cannot find it online, but I still have the book. I tried to re-read it some years back and found it a bit boring as an adult (it really is written for children), but I remember lying on the carpet and pouring endlessly over my father's big Atlas, retracing Marco's travels on the maps. I do travel wide and far and I love reading historical fiction that brings actual past events to life.

message 3: by Nik (last edited May 05, 2018 01:23AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16076 comments Like Kat, I too loved to counterpose the Atlas' maps with books I read, favoring adventure genre of Jules Verne, Mayne Reid, Fenimore Cooper, Alex Dumah and the likes.
Later the interest switched to Sci-Fi, Thrillers, Fantasy, Historical Fiction and as an adult expanded also to humor, lit fiction & non-fic..

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6184 comments My mom wasn't a reader, so I didn't have any favorites as a kid. At around 13, I somehow found Nancy Drew, and I've been a reader ever since. Now I read some non-fiction if it interests me, but I love fiction. I think I'm addicted to reading.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Looking over my GR shelf dedicated to my favorite books from childhood with this question in mind..........

I'm back. Looks like I've always been an eclectic reader. Growing up has just expanded my fields of interest, mostly in non-fiction; I certainly wasn't interested in DIY home repair as a child.

message 6: by Tree (new)

Tree District (treedistbooks) | 4 comments I agree with a lot of these in that I loved books based on travel and exploring new places even if those places were fictional. The Chronicles of Narnia was always a story that captured my interest. I still love fiction today especially if it takes me to a different place, out of my normal scenery.

message 7: by Terence (new)

Terence Park | 44 comments As a child: The Horse and His Boy (The Horse and his boy, by C S Lewis
Tastes change and what excites the sense of wonder with it. I've largely moved from sense of wonder - a yesteryear phenomenon when I was still seeking out the new and unexpected - to exploration. To some extent this is research to an excess, but the information out there was once stuffed in dusty old libraries and collections.
What have I enjoyed recently? This boils down to well told stories; I haven't read much of George R.R. MartinGeorge RR Martin, but what I have (of Game of Thrones) was pitched well.
In a Sci-Fi setting not much surpasses Dune though I have found the misnomered Heinlein Juveniles well worth a revisit, for example Have Space Suit-Will Travel, Citizen Of The Galaxy.
More recent works in-genre need to enthuse me at the blurb. Too much of what's on the bookstands looks like something read before.
Oh, and don't forget Galactic Pot-Healer, Dick's take on black humour, the future, transcendence and aliens and things in general, make this book sing. A pity I lost my Pan 1976 edition in my last house move (Yes that's you Pickfords removal who fouled up).

message 8: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1859 comments As a kid, around 8 to 10, I liked Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, The Boxcar kids, a nurse series that I forget. Around 10 to 12 I read Narnia, Indian in the Cupboard, and those type. Then we moved and I had no access except for a grade school library. I read any book my dad had in the basement. From The Diary of Anne Frank to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. From that school library I read a lot of historical fiction, especially the civil war or anything that was Greece and Rome era, and mysteries.

So, what I read as a kid was less about taste/preference and mostly about what was available. I simply liked to read. As an adult, it's mostly about legal mysteries and science fiction. Dune, Pern, Cities in Flight, and Foundation series being at the top of my list in my late teens and early 20s.