Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Most of All You
This topic is about Most of All You
Archive (Buddy Reads) > Ezinwanyi & Chiara's Ongoing Buddy Read (Most of All You ~ May 2018)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ezi (last edited May 03, 2018 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Most of All You by Mia Sheridan

A broken woman . . .

Crystal learned long ago that love brings only pain. Feeling nothing at all is far better than being hurt again. She guards her wounded heart behind a hard exterior and carries within her a deep mistrust of men, who, in her experience, have only ever used and taken.

A man in need of help . . .

Then Gabriel Dalton walks into her life. Despite the terrible darkness of his past, there's an undeniable goodness in him. And even though she knows the cost, Crystal finds herself drawn to Gabriel. His quiet strength is wearing down her defenses and his gentle patience is causing her to question everything she thought she knew.

Only love can mend a shattered heart . . .

Crystal and Gabriel never imagined that the world, which had stolen everything from them, would bring them a deep love like this. Except fate will only take them so far, and now the choice is theirs: Harden their hearts once again or find the courage to shed their painful pasts.

message 2: by Ezi (last edited May 08, 2018 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 3: by Ezi (last edited May 08, 2018 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments ♛Nominations for Future BR's♛
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid Thief (Boston Underworld, #5) by A. Zavarelli In Harmony by Emma Scott Shameless by Lex Martin Scars and Secrets (Loose Ends, #1) by Avril Ashton 180 Seconds by Jessica Park Drunk Dial by Penelope Ward Rebel Heir (Rush Series Duet, #1) by Vi Keeland Dear Agony by Georgia Cates Lake + Manning (Something in the Way, #4) by Jessica Hawkins Priest (Priest, #1) by Sierra Simone

Not released yet but on audio preorder:
One Small Thing by Erin Watt More Than Words by Mia Sheridan

Chiara | 726 comments Great nominations!! I’ve already listened to Punk 57 but I’m totally up for a re-read!
If it’s ok for you, I’d also add the new Vi Keeland’s since we both have it in our TBR Rebel Heir (Rush Series Duet, #1) by Vi Keeland

message 5: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Great nominations!! I’ve already listened to Punk 57 but I’m totally up for a re-read!
If it’s ok for you, I’d also add the new Vi Keeland’s since we both have it in our TBR [bookc..."

Done. I didn’t really check our m-m selections as much but feel free if there’s some we have in common

message 6: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Can we do this one this week Burn (Dark in You, #1) by Suzanne Wright ? I need it for a challenge

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Great nominations!! I’ve already listened to Punk 57 but I’m totally up for a re-read!
If it’s ok for you, I’d also add the new Vi Keeland’s since we both have it in..."

Ok later I’ll check our TBR and see what else we can add!

message 8: by Chiara (last edited May 03, 2018 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Can we do this one this week Burn (Dark in You, #1) by Suzanne Wright? I need it for a challenge"

Yes no problem! I have a fantasy/PNR for a challenge this month as well, so I can use this one! Let me know when you want to start it!

message 9: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "Can we do this one this week Burn (Dark in You, #1) by Suzanne Wright? I need it for a challenge"

Yes no problem! I have a fantasy/PNR for a challenge this month as well, so I can use this one!..."

Tomorrow. We can start tomorrow. I’ll create a different thread. any ideas for our buddy name? We could just call in Ezi & Chiara’s Ongoing Buddy Read

Chiara | 726 comments Ok tomorrow is good for me..I've just purchased the book so I'm ready to go!
Yes I think "Ezi & Chiara's Ongoing Buddy Read" is a suitable name :)

Chiara | 726 comments When do you wanna start reading it?!

message 12: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "When do you wanna start reading it?!"

tomorrow...is that too soon? Maybe tonight after baseball practices and I've feed the kids?

message 13: by Chiara (last edited May 08, 2018 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "When do you wanna start reading it?!"

tomorrow...is that too soon? Maybe tonight after baseball practices and I've feed the kids?"

Tomorrow sounds good to me! It’s already 8.30 pm here and I’m trying to finish another book that I’ve been reading for a while!

message 14: by Chiara (last edited May 09, 2018 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments I’m reading the prologue and I can already say this is gonna be a tough story..I don’t understand why her mom didn’t go to social services..why leave her with a father who didn’t want her? And why leave without even saying goodbye? I understand her desperation but maybe I would have tried looking for alternatives before abandoning the child with someone who clearly didn’t want to be a father..
She left her child with a stranger, without preparing her mentally and without even clothes or personal effects..
I can only imagine what kind of trauma a child can suffer for being abandoned in such a terrible way. I have a feeling our heroine is gonna have a quite heavy emotional baggage..

Chiara | 726 comments Chapter 2
I have the feeling that Gabriel was asking Crystal’s help because he likes Chloe and he wants to be confident and comfortable enough to be close to her and to be touched by her. So, in the end, even if he claimed to be different, he just wanted to use Crystal, like every other man..

Chiara | 726 comments End of Chapter 7
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Boy. You are ahead of me.
I’m on chapter 2

Chapter 1: Ellie: Cynthia ~ Mom; Brad ~ Father
I could tell what Cynthia was about to do, and I didn’t like it because Brad seems worse than an orphanage.
Doesn’t she have any family or best friends at all? Anyone but this dude?

message 18: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I’m reading the prologue and I can already say this is gonna be a tough story..I don’t understand why her mom didn’t go to social services..why leave her with a father who didn’t want her? And why ..."

Ha. I see we are thinking along the same lines. I agree with everything you wrote. Brad said I didn’t want her 7 yrs ago and i don’t want her now. She still left her there. He slapped her!!! A seven year old he literally just met 😔😔😔

Maybe Cynthia thought if she said bye to Ellie she wouldn’t be able to leave. That was probably true.

My best friend lost her mom to Lung cancer even though she never smoked. The end was pretty bad watching her get skinnier and frailer and sicker to Where she couldn’t eat and was on a morphin drip ALL the time. The constant moaning from pain....

Yea. I wouldn’t want my 7yr old around that IF i had a loving family member to care for a little girl.

message 19: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Chapter 2
I have the feeling that Gabriel was asking Crystal’s help because he likes Chloe and he wants to be confident and comfortable enough to be close to her and to be touched by her. So, in th..."

I feel so bad for Gabriel. He wants a physical connection and Ellie just wants to keep her wall up. I guess they are both stunted in the same way but for differing series.

I wonder what happened with her father?

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Boy. You are ahead of me.
I’m on chapter..."

Don’t worry..I’m on Chapter 9 but I’m gonna go to bed soon cause it’s already 10pm here and I need to get up at 5.30am so you’ll have plenty of time to catch up!

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "I’m reading the prologue and I can already say this is gonna be a tough story..I don’t understand why her mom didn’t go to social services..why leave her with a father who didn’t wan..."

Yes I get it, it would be better to protect a child from seeing a parent suffering or dying..but she spared her daughter from one suffering to give her another one equal if not even worse.
I’m curious to know more about Ellie’s life with her father to better understand what happened to her after her mom’s death

message 22: by Chiara (last edited May 09, 2018 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I wonder what happened with her father?

I just wrote a similar thing in my previous comment without reading yours first! Let’s hope that along the way her story with her father will be developed..

Gabe so far is a great guy..I hope Ellie/Crystal will stop being so scared and will give him a chance

Chiara | 726 comments Chapter 8 (end)
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I’m on chapter 7 now. This story is good.

Gabe was gone for 6yrs????

message 25: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Chapter 8 (end)
[spoilers removed]"

I saw it coming as well. Especially when the douchebag said he would have to “take” what he wanted. Unfortunately it is common at seedy clubs. Most upscale strip clubs have security and video cameras and walk the girls to their cars after work.

It’s sad and I was so glad they weren’t able to complete their sexual assault. I was shocked that Gabriel was there but I’m happy for her

message 26: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments My goodness! Eloise had been through so much at a young age. This world isn’t kind to those without support system and money. The predators hurt the already hurting 😔. That photographer has done that trick to so many young people wanting pictures for a portfolio. What a disgusting piece of shit!

I want to know about Ellie’s mom. I want to know what kind of woman she was before Ellie and before her cancer. What kind of woman would associate with the drunk selfish asshole that Ellie’s father was. He never seemed nice, not from the epilogue and not from Ellie’s memories of broken bones

message 27: by Ezi (last edited May 09, 2018 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chapter 13: the Sparrow

What happened to Gabriel’s mom and dad?

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I’m on chapter 7 now. This story is good.

Gabe was gone for 6yrs????"

Yes he was kidnapped in 1998 when he was 9 years old and he escaped 6 years later, when he was 15, in 2004.
His parents died in 2003, one year before he escaped.
Now he’s 27 (he said it’s been 18 years since he was kidnapped)

Yes, this story is really good!

message 29: by Ezi (last edited May 09, 2018 08:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chapter 11:
Gabrielle offered! What a sweet person he is. He has a big heart despite how she sent Rita knowing he couldn’t have handled Rita’s touch.
He did Come as soon as she needed him and offered aid. I take it he doesn’t have friends either

Chapter 14:
Chloe and Ellie are such a contrast. One so hopefully and bubbly and excited about future opportunities.
The other so jaded and scared to hope for anything nice.

Chiara | 726 comments Now you’re ahead of me..I’m still on chapter 9!
I don’t know why, but I keep having the feeling that someone close to Gabe might be related to the disappearance of the boy (Whyatt). I hope I’m wrong!

message 31: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Rodney is another predator. The women in his club are all objects whom are only worth money to him. He’s gross

message 32: by Chiara (last edited May 10, 2018 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "My goodness! Eloise had been through so much at a young age. This world isn’t kind to those without support system and money. The predators hurt the already hurting 😔. That photographer has done th..."

Poor dear..she experienced the worst in her life..
And it’s so sad to think about the things some women have to endure in order to survive, if they don’t have the support of a loving family..
Life hardened her so much..her walls are pretty hard to break. She always keeps this distant and detached attitude..I feel bad for her.

Gabe on the other end has still hope, even if he experienced the unimaginable as a child..
And he’s such a sweet caring man with Ellie..
“I’d give her rainbows every day if I could only see the smile she’d given me this morning, see that wonder glowing in her eyes for longer than a minute.” ❤️❤️

I really don’t like Gabe’s brother..he’s so hostile towards Ellie..

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chapter 13: the Sparrow

What happened to Gabriel’s mom and dad?"

They were killed in a car accident in 2003, the year before Gabe escaped his prison

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chapter 14:
Chloe and Ellie are such a contrast. One so hopefully and bubbly and excited about future opportunities.
The other so jaded and scared to hope for anything nice.."

Yes they’re very different. And it breaks my heart to see Ellie so insecure and felling so unworthy of Gabe. She’s convinced that a man like Gabriel deserves a girl like Chloe..and she thinks very little of herself.
It’s true that what happens during our childhood stays with us throughout our whole life..It helps carve the future adult we will be..

Chloe is a very positive person..but I don’t think she can truly understand Ellie’s struggle. It’s unnerving when people tell you “if you don’t like this aspect of your life just change it!”, making it sounds so easy..because sometimes it’s not easy at all and there are many factors to consider

Dominic is an asshole and every time he tries to insult Ellie or make her feel unworthy my heart breaks for her..

message 35: by Chiara (last edited May 10, 2018 04:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Rodney is another predator. The women in his club are all objects whom are only worth money to him. He’s gross"

Yes, he’s disgusting..he even had the gut ti fire Ellie after all she’s been through. But probably it was for the best that she no longer works in that place.

George, on the other hand, is a really good man and I’m glad he’s helping Ellie

message 36: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments George is basically taking on the paternal role for both Gab and Dominic. I love that he is being an adult they can count on.

I would like to just hug Ellie

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I would like to just hug Ellie"

I’ve been having the same feeling throughout the whole book..her fragility breaks my heart..

I’m on chapter 24..the end of chapter 23 made me think a lot about Archer's Voice because (view spoiler)

message 38: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I am on chapter 16, so you are a bit ahead of me :D

on a separate note, I have to read a gothic horror book for bingo. Is there one you would recommend to me? I already read Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris ...I am not a horror reader or gothic either. I am a romance person. If you had a good story, please share with me.

Chiara | 726 comments Is Twilight a gothic horror story?! I had no idea! I’m a Romance person as well but I’m gonna check my PNR shelf and see if I have something!

Chiara | 726 comments I just finished..
(view spoiler)

Chiara | 726 comments I've checked my PNR shelf..I had found a few to suggest but I saw that you already read them!
The only one remaining, that I think could be similar to Twilight, is The Dark Ones (The Dark Ones Saga, #1) by Rachel Van Dyken but I haven't read it yet so I don't know if it's a good one or not and if it can be considered a gothic horror (it's not shelved as gothic horror)

One of the most famous gothic authors I know is Edgar Allan Poe.

I also checked a "Gothic Horror" shelf on Goodreads and they suggest The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde , which is a classic by Oscar Wilde.
They've also included a book that is on my TBR 'cause someone recommended it to me but I still haven't read it: My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

message 42: by Ezi (last edited May 10, 2018 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Did Gabriel get counseling? Why couldn’t Ellie get counseling AND still stay with him?

message 43: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Thanks Chiara. I don’t want to read gothic stuff 😂

message 44: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Ellie didn’t visit Gabe in the hospital? Why not? That’s not cool. She came over saying she’s read every article about him. I am so disappointed. You can visit a friend who was almost killed by a pedophile and his accomplice who was on his way.

She couldn’t face a man in the hospital who saved a little boy from 6yrs or more of the worst things imaginable.
She’s that fragile she couldn’t hug him and say “I’m glad you are okay”

That’s really disappointing for me

message 45: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I finished. I think Gabe is such a nice person. Very forgiving and accepting. I also like that Dominic has apologized and is working to be a better person. Go Chloe!!!

I think Ellie not at least coming by once while Gabe basically relieved his worst nightmare as well as seeing a younger version of himself. Plus knowing the cops suspected Gabe.
She couldn’t find something within herself to even call him just took something away for me. I’m still rooting for her but...

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Did Gabriel get counseling? Why couldn’t Ellie get counselinfbsbd still stay with him?"

I think she wanted to know who she was without him. She had become so attached to him that, instead of healing, she was simply living in their perfect bubble and each time they were out with others she couldn’t help but still feel like she didn’t belong.
So I justify her decision to leave..it’s sad that it took her many months, but I get it

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Ellie didn’t visit Gabe in the hospital? Why not? That’s not cool. She came over saying she’s read every article about him. I am so disappointed. You can visit a friend who was almost killed by a p..."

She didn’t visit him, but she sent him the fixed doll and a message, to let him know she was with him, even if she couldn’t be there physically.
In the end she says she couldn’t visit him cause she wasn’t healed by then and she was scared she wouldn’t have the strength to leave again if she saw him

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I finished. I think Gabe is such a nice person. Very forgiving and accepting. I also like that Dominic has apologized and is working to be a better person. Go Chloe!!!

I think Ellie not at least c..."

I liked the fact that Dominic redeemed himself as well.
I understand your disappointment towards Ellie, but I also get her need to make it on her own. Their story was destined to me doomed if she didn’t heal herself. Gabe was amazing for giving her time to become whole again on her own terms. He really was the perfect man!

message 49: by Ezi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I agree with her wanting to heal herself and I completely support that. She was really broken, insecure and lacked any kind of feelings of self-worth.

I guess if I heard the man I loved was in the hospital after a pedophile hurt him, ESPECIALLY, since it was so similar to a situation that left him unable to have physical contact...the very trauma that led him to her. I feel like I would need to see his face, give him a hug or tell him that I am so happy that he was a hero and survived yet again.

As he thought he was taking a risk of his life as he prepared to lunge as his attacker, his thoughts were of her. He was in that basement wishing she could feel the energy of his love as he faced the real possibility of dying.

That's how he was devoted to her. It must have been agony for him to let her go and not know if she would return to him. He found the strength to fight to free that boy, fight for himself and for her.

She could have seen him.

message 50: by Chiara (last edited May 10, 2018 10:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I agree with her wanting to heal herself and I completely support that. She was really broken, insecure and lacked any kind of feelings of self-worth.

I guess if I heard the man I loved was in the..."

Yes, I understand your point of view and if I was in her shoes, I would have totally gone to the hospital. Probably our heroine thought the doll was enough to make him feel her presence and her love and didn’t feel ready to face him. It was selfish..but I think that people that hit rock bottom and finally start to heal, can be scared to regress if they don’t feel ready. So, even if I wouldn’t have done what she did, I can understand why she decided not to show up at the hospital.
When they meet again, she tells him “I wanted to come to you in the hospital, so much. But I wasn’t ready then, and I couldn’t see you and then go away again. I couldn’t do that to you, or to me.”

I think he was a great man for understanding and for forgiving her for not going to the hospital.

And if you think about it, he did something similar. When she had to go to court and face the men who attacked her, Gabe wasn’t there. It was something scary for her (ok, not so bad as being in a hospital), but it was emotionally challenging, and yet she had to face it on her own. He understood that she had to be on her own to heal.

« previous 1