Gaston Library discussion

Monthly Reading Wrap Ups > April 2018 Monthly Reading Wrap Up

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 291 comments Mod
Hello everyone! Hope you all are enjoying the beautiful weather this week!

This month I read...

A Million Suns by Beth Revis- I listened to this on Audiobook. This series got off to a good start in Across the Universe, but I just didn't like this one much at all. The plot was still pretty interesting, but the characters (especially Amy) were really annoying in a lot of ways. Honestly, I'll probably still read the third in the series though.

The Last Ballad by Wiley Cash- This was the Last Chapter Book Club book of the month. Especially given the setting and ties to local history in our area this was a captivating read. I loved the way it was written too. All the different view points made it really interesting.

What did you read this month? Be sure to share down below!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Cadi (new)

Cadi | 32 comments Hi Jessica!

I got a decent amount of reading done this month...

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William Irvine. This is a good introduction to Stoic philosophy. A lot of modern self-help is based on these principles so it wasn't necessarily new information but still quite good.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I have started this book multiple times and finally finished it!

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. This was fantastic. I usually enjoy historical fiction anyway but this was very well-written and I became engrossed in the story. Highly recommended!

Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Once again, Gaiman doesn't disappoint. I have enjoyed everything I've ever read of his.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente. This was not my cup of tea. I read it off a recommendation but it's not my favorite genre and I thought the writing was "busy". I felt like the author was trying too hard.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 291 comments Mod
Cadi, I love historical fiction too! All the Light We Cannot See has been on my list for while, maybe I should push it up.

Stardust is one my favorites of his! The movie is quite a bit different, but I highly recommend it too.