Drop Everything And Read discussion

Questions > Separation Anxiety

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited May 03, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

Jessica (ireadcauseican) I don't know about you...but finishing a really great book series (like HP) always leaves me a conflicted mess.

I'm happy I got to meet the characters and, usually, I'm relieved that things have worked out for them over the course of the series (unless it's GoT haha!) BUT I also have that post-good-read depression. Wandering the halls of my house aimlessly- staring blankly at walls- shaking my fist at the author for not writing more books in the series to keep me blissfully checked out of reality in the fantasy world they introduced me to.

Then I find that trying to move on- and keep an open mind toward a new series and characters- is tough! The struggle is real, people! :o)

What books have you read that helped you cope with the "separation anxiety" of finishing your favorite series?

message 2: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments I get this too if I really get involved in the series. The characters become like real people in your mind and there's almost a bereavement when you have to let them go!

Those are the books I keep for re-reads.

I could list books that have had this effect, but no suggestions for coping with the sense of loss.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ireadcauseican) D20 wrote: "I get this too if I really get involved in the series. The characters become like real people in your mind and there's almost a bereavement when you have to let them go!

Those are the books I keep..."

What books gave you that effect?

message 4: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 7 comments Jessica wrote: "I don't know about you...but finishing a really great book series (like HP) always leaves me a conflicted mess.

I'm happy I got to meet the characters and, usually, I'm relieved that things have ..."

I usually have some go-to palate cleansers. Sometimes they’re old favorites, sometimes they’re YA or graphic novels or nonfiction, but I usually read something that’s quick, familiar, and doesn’t have too much of an emotional impact. Then I’m ready to move on to something else. Good luck! Book hangovers are definitely a real thing.

message 5: by Anna (last edited May 04, 2018 10:20AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 75 comments I'm an author and readers have mentioned something similar to me - I feel guilty that I can't write fast enough. I've just come to the end of writing a trilogy and I am missing my characters too!

Somebody told me that they were going to reread - so I guess that is one way to help but I think Summer's suggestion of visiting some old favourites probably works well too.

I'm currently watching something on TV and I never want it to end. I find keeping busy helps!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ireadcauseican) I can imagine the other side of that as an author is true too!

You've spent a tremendous amount of time developing and loving characters into life. Feeling the story "portal" close in your imagination would be a bitter sweet thing- maybe even more so than it is as a reader.

:o)

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 75 comments Thank you, Jessica. I've finished the story, but sshh... I may reopen it after I've finished the book I'm about to start. I'm pretty sure those characters are not lying still doing nothing, and I've fallen in love with Daniel and his dog, so I'll take a peek in a year or two and see what they've been doing. Meanwhile I'll be attending to another character who's battering the inside of my head to get out.

message 8: by D20 (last edited May 05, 2018 06:38AM) (new)

D20 | 162 comments Jessica wrote: "What books gave you that effect?"

There have been a few. Off the top of my head...

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens Thieves' World (Thieves' World, #1) by Robert Lynn Asprin The Goblin Trilogy by Jaq D. Hawkins The Heritage of Hastur (Darkover, #18) by Marion Zimmer Bradley (and others in this series)
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling Watership Down (Watership Down, #1) by Richard Adams Little Women (Little Women, #1) by Louisa May Alcott The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice

I would recommend any of these books.

message 9: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "I'm currently watching something on TV and I never want it to end."

I have that issue with Game of Thrones!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ireadcauseican) D20 wrote: "Jessica wrote: "What books gave you that effect?"

There have been a few. Off the top of my head...

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens Thieves' World (Thieves' World, #1) by Robert Lynn Asprin [bookcover:The Goblin Tril..."

Oooh! Anne Rice has been on my list to read for a long time and I had forgotten about it! Thank you for that reminder. :o)

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ireadcauseican) D20 wrote: "Anna Faversham wrote: "I'm currently watching something on TV and I never want it to end."

I have that issue with Game of Thrones!"

I re-watched the entire Game of Thrones series over this last winter. It is one of my favorites (that and House of Cards on Netflix). It's refreshing to have a story line with so many women that are equally has brutal as the men.

:o)

message 12: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments Jessica wrote: "

I re-watched the entire Game of Thrones series over..."

I haven't re-watched any of the series yet. I think about it every time a new season gets close. I think it will have to finish before it feels right to go back. I wish Martin would finish the books!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ireadcauseican) I was trying to remember back to some of the earlier episodes and how things had transpired....so one thing turned into the next and soon I had just restarted the whole thing. Haha!

I have to confess- I had never even heard of the books/series until I'd already seen an episode of the show in the third season on accident. I went back and started the series from the beginning and caught up to the current episodes on tv...but so far I've only read the first book.

It always feels painful to me when things happen in that order- it's so hard to go back and read a book after you've seen the movie/show because then you're only seeing the made-for-screen characters in your imagination. I still intend to read them all- but it's just a bit harder (for me) to do now.

message 14: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments I read the first 5 books before the series started so I knew a lot of things that were going to happen. Then they started diverging and eventually passed me up, so it's all new to me now.

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I call that getting over a really good book or series a book hangover.